Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sako 75 scope mount??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Bronze Member

Sako 75 scope mount??

I just purchased a Sako 75 and will be mounting a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 30mm LR scope on it. The optilock rings and base doesn't sit down close enough to the gun. So of my other option of a Leupold ringmount, is it as solid as the optilock system? I would like to know if there are any picatinny systems that fit the dovetail? Any help with a good solid scope mount that allows the scope to sit down close to the barrell is appreciated.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Sako 75 scope mount??

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know if there are any picatinny systems that fit the dovetail?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a seach on Near Mfg. They are in Canada and make a rail for the 75. Very nice piece of equipment if you can get one.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

I've used Optilocks, Leupold, Millet, Conetrol and Talley mounts on my Sakos. I don't like the Leupold system and absolutely detest the Millets. The Optilocks are okay, but they're a little high and those rings screws are just awfully soft. I don't have much experience with the Talleys yet as I just this past weekend mounted my first scope in them (first time using Talleys on a Sako, that is). These Talleys are lows and may be just a smidge lower than the low Optilocks, but there's not much difference. The Conetrols are nice looking mounts and are the lowest I've used on a Sako. In fact, medium Conetrols are lower than low Optilocks. Here's a picture of them on a 75:

I've checked into the Near Mfg. bases and found that the minimum taper they had (at least at that time) was 25 MOA. I didn't want a base with that much taper.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Bronze Member

I did talk to the people at Talley and it sounds like they have a solid system. I guess it has a screw that locks the base from the top? Is that correct. On your optilock system was it the ring and base or the one piece ringmount? If it was the ringmount one piece did it fit lower?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

I'll post a picture of the Talleys on my 75 when I can so you can see what they look like. Probably be able to do that tomorrow. The bases slide onto the Sako dovetails (I used a block of wood to tap them on as far as they would go) and there are two set screws on top that you screw down onto the receiver to lock them on. I like the way they look and it seems to be a strong setup, though only time will tell.

My Optilocks are the 2 piece base and ring arrangement. I don't have any experience with the Ringmounts you speak of.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

Here are a couple of pictures of Talleys on a 75.

This is the left side: You can see a single screw on the bottom of the rings. That's what clamps the rings onto the bases.

This is the right side. You can see two screws on both the bottom and top halves of the rings. This is what fastens the rings halves together around the scope.

I really like these rings. I've got another set on a Winchester pre-'64 Model 70 that have served me well.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

Thought I'd throw in one more image so you can compare. These are the low Optilocks on the same rifle: