Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

Holy crap Hank, that makes my back hurt just seeing it. So whats the story? They didn't really shoot off that horse did they? That muzzle blast by those ears would be bad.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
It's a good thing Berger is taking some time to get that bullet out, they must be on the same plan I am.
I've had the SW MT plague that it sounds like Roosters dealing with, been through the 7 rings of hell the last couple weeks with this crap and just now feel like I can get out of the house

These scabbards are looking awesome!! What do you think about slinging them vertical from the horn? I've used one like that when I was a kid and really liked it cause I could get my 22 out and shoot rabbits without getting of the horse, I haven't done it with large rifle though, anyone try it?
bigngreen, that is how I carry my scabbards---vertical off the pommel. I carry my day pack on the opposite side to offset the rifle weight. I have tried every which way (except hiring a sherpa) and vertical works best for me plus you can get it out pretty darn quick. This photo is of a eberlestock mini me pack with their scabbard and what I have done with that is line the backside of the scabbard with leather. You can either use the scabbard alone or include it inside the mini me pack. The scabbard that I am making for a long range rig will have heavy duty straps and they will be strongly reinforced on the scabbard attachments. I am toying with using hypalon with the leather on the straps and you could then use them to tow your F350............

Randy
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Saddle scabbards & target-turrets-all-photos-card-reader-one-107.jpg  

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen

Last edited by mtnwrunner; 01-06-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot photo
Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Did you mean this guy?
Actually, they are both pointing out a landing zone for the medical helicopter.........

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Hi my name is Scott Teaschner I am from Cody Wyoming. I just got off the phone with Len I was talking with him about guns. I started asking him about scabbards for long range guns and he told me to look up this thread. Len has given me permission to talk about my business to see if there is maybe some interest in what I have to offer.

I started off in leather back in 2004. I spent 2 years working in a saddle shop in Cody WY. I have been in business for myself for about 2 years. My business name is Wyoming Wildlife Artistry I started out just offering taxidermy but the leather has now over run me and I will no longer take in taxidermy. I have mainly concentrated in High Grade Leather for the sportsman. My initial gear was made for the traditional archer and custom knife sheaths. I am now looking at building products for the rifle hunter.

As a guide myself I am seeing more and more long range guns with target turrets. Most outfitters do not have scabbards to handle these scopes. I also have not seen commercial scabbard for this application. I have built scabbards for my own rifles and found them to work well. I attached some pics of my scabbard for my Kimber with my Leopold scope ant target turret. I do not use a buckle for the flap. The system I use is fast secure and can be used with gloves on.

The biggest problem is having enough room to get your whole package in without having to use great force. Some guys may even have Harris Bi pods which cause even more bulk. I feel even with say an aluminum liner to keep the leather off of the exposed turrets it would always be wise to check to make sure they have not been moved while inserting or removing. I don't think there is a fail safe way other than covers on the turrets.
Bulk will become an issue and the closer you can keep a scabbard to the horse and as high as possible the better it will ride. I always sling my day pack opposite to keep the saddle from wanting to roll. The longer and thicker it gets the more problems arise and accidents waiting to happen. Maybe why some outfitter made the pack horse carries it.

I would have an interest in building long range scabbards for purchase. There are a few things to consider. To build custom rigs and getting them to fit without having the gun in hand would be hard. But If I could build a scabbard in say one or two models that fit most well is going to be the most economical. Leather is expensive and these scabbards consume a lot of hide. I personally use Herman Oak leather itís tanned in the states and is of the highest quality. It also is upwards of $250.00 a side before shipping. You can get imported leather cheaper but it is that cheaper.

I f I can get a feel for what is important it will help me figure out what direction I need to go. If you feel it needs to be lined and have an aluminum shroud you are talking more time and materials and that means more money. Some guys may only need a scabbard once in their whole life and spending hundreds of dollars on a scabbard may not be what they want? But then how do they carry their rifle safely on a hunt of a lifetime? Maybe I could offer a rental plan? So look at the pics throw some ideas out there and we will see what we come up with.

Thanks Scott

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets-p1010888.jpg

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets-p1010889.jpg

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets-p1010890.jpg
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

What you show right here would work for me. Ordering another scope and its turrets are even shorter. 26 inch barrel no bipod. Looks good. Might send you a PM and ask more questions.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Well, after many, many years I did end-up digging out my old leather tools and that chunk of hide I had left stashed away.. spent a couple evenings in the shop these last few days and figured I'd post what I came-up with.

The scabbard itself is 42" from the bottom-tip to the edge the flap is attached.. measures 46.5" to the curve of the flap when it's buckled closed. Used two different rifles to settle on the sizing and length, one thumbhole and one standard monte carlo sako stock.. (soon to also be thumbhole) Both rifles have 26" pipes, one of which has a brake. The scope I have in the attached pics is (obviously) a Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56, very big scope and fairly bulky turrets* There is "room" (some) inside the scabbard, it isn't tight or any-stuggle to force the rifle in or out, at-all! And the way I cut that slot for the bolt, there is actually ZERO pressure on the elevation turret. Upside-down, that slot in the scabbard in-deed holds the rifle completely "up" and off the turrets/barrel altogether... The "other/2nd" rifle I used for fit has got a scopecoat over it (is a Huskemaw 3-12x42) and with the scopecoat it fits almost identically inside the scabbard as what my big Zeiss does, but with the extra protection of the scopecoat, fwiw..

My tooling is a little rusty, lol.. but I figure for eye-balling and going off the top of my head (entirely) for making this thing, it still oughtta carry my guns very-very nice! Couple months time, I guess we'll see just-how-well for sure*

Also fwiw, should any of you paying attention and showing any interest in taking something like this on yourselves.. you'll see I stitched the seams with leather lacing rather than thread/machine sewing. I haven't got a machine myself for sewing, nor do I really believe thread will last any-longer than a leather lace... those laces are banjo-tight and not going anywheres! I treated (and will be giving a few more coats) with neatsfoot-oil.. I'm quite certain the "3/8" lacing (I cut it thick, is moose hide) SHOULD last as long as the scabbard it-self... I'm hoping* ...time will tell though

See what you see.. thought some of ya'll would be interested in how it went**

...should mention, the scabbard actually has length enough for a 29-30" barrel.. depending on the rifles-action and whether long or short. The brake (on mine anyway) is 2" long, making that 26 a 28" There's probably a good 3" to spare for room.

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets-img_0651.jpg

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets-img_0653.jpg

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets-img_0654.jpg

Last edited by rooster721; 01-13-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: adding*
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster721 View Post
Well, after many, many years I did end-up digging out my old leather tools and that chunk of hide I had left stashed away.. spent a couple evenings in the shop these last few days and figured I'd post what I came-up with.

The scabbard itself is 42" from the bottom-tip to the edge the flap is attached.. measures 46.5" to the curve of the flap when it's buckled closed. Used two different rifles to settle on the sizing and length, one thumbhole and one standard monte carlo sako stock.. (soon to also be thumbhole) Both rifles have 26" pipes, one of which has a brake. The scope I have in the attached pics is (obviously) a Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56, very big scope and fairly bulky turrets* There is "room" (some) inside the scabbard, it isn't tight or any-stuggle to force the rifle in or out, at-all! And the way I cut that slot for the bolt, there is actually ZERO pressure on the elevation turret. Upside-down, that slot in the scabbard in-deed holds the rifle completely "up" and off the turrets/barrel altogether... The "other/2nd" rifle I used for fit has got a scopecoat over it (is a Huskemaw 3-12x42) and with the scopecoat it fits almost identically inside the scabbard as what my big Zeiss does, but with the extra protection of the scopecoat, fwiw..

My tooling is a little rusty, lol.. but I figure for eye-balling and going off the top of my head (entirely) for making this thing, it still oughtta carry my guns very-very nice! Couple months time, I guess we'll see just-how-well for sure*

Also fwiw, should any of you paying attention and showing any interest in taking something like this on yourselves.. you'll see I stitched the seams with leather lacing rather than thread/machine sewing. I haven't got a machine myself for sewing, nor do I really believe thread will last any-longer than a leather lace... those laces are banjo-tight and not going anywheres! I treated (and will be giving a few more coats) with neatsfoot-oil.. I'm quite certain the "3/8" lacing (I cut it thick, is moose hide) SHOULD last as long as the scabbard it-self... I'm hoping* ...time will tell though

See what you see.. thought some of ya'll would be interested in how it went**

Attachment 16906

Attachment 16907

Attachment 16908
Rooster, very well done.

Randy