Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

Would the real Rooster please stand up....

740, I am believing the pack horse thing might be the way to fly also. Plus I always have a horse that needs to be saddled up and taken out, so why not use them. This will be the way I haul the new LRKM in a pelican case.

I plan to get back after the saddle rifle project this summer. There is a new lathe not too awful far away. I am thinking the owner might help me get one together if I bring along my LRKM for him to test drive. What ya think BnG?

This rifle I feel will be the nutz for a wolf rig. 7mm-300 win, 24 to 26" tube, 8.5 twist and the new 195 Berger with a .795 BC. A light weight narrow forearm stock to slide in and out easily. On top goes a 2.5~10x32 Compact NXS mounted low. Should be pretty bad medicine out to 1000 and will defy the wind pretty good too. I need to get this rifle done.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Would the real Rooster please stand up....

740, I am believing the pack horse thing might be the way to fly also. Plus I always have a horse that needs to be saddled up and taken out, so why not use them. This will be the way I haul the new LRKM in a pelican case.

I plan to get back after the saddle rifle project this summer. There is a new lathe not too awful far away. I am thinking the owner might help me get one together if I bring along my LRKM for him to test drive. What ya think BnG?

This rifle I feel will be the nutz for a wolf rig. 7mm-300 win, 24 to 26" tube, 8.5 twist and the new 195 Berger with a .795 BC. A light weight narrow forearm stock to slide in and out easily. On top goes a 2.5~10x32 Compact NXS mounted low. Should be pretty bad medicine out to 1000 and will defy the wind pretty good too. I need to get this rifle done.

Jeff
I am sitting, or laying rather! I've been up all night with sick kids and out all morning looking for but wishing I was chasing mutts!

PLAN A
It really is just as fast to pull a complete rifle out of that pelican, nose to tail your horses and start shooting!

PLAN B
Find a spot to tie up your horse, or hope like hell he stands for a volley of rifle fire. You jerk your iron that you may have an altered zero by kicking the crap out of your scope in the process of horse racing wolves. You dig your bipod out of your backpack or saddle bag, find your rear bag out of your other saddle bag, by now you are panicking! You put all necessary long range shooting accessories together and start shooting......Oh crap the mutts are out of range.... Repeat PLAN B

I am not the real rooster! The real rooster would just fly over the wolf and drop a grenade!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

721: If your looking for a different scope for your scabbard, a NF will not fit in mine. I have a couple of Husky's and they do but not by much. Mine are the old discontinued version. They were pricey then but now you are looking at the Blue diamond version they are a couple hundred more. I have been doing tactical shoots and my partner shoots a vortex pst. His scope is about the same size as my Husky and has a pure MOA reticle. It is also about half the price of the Husky. I can't imagine purchasing a Husky now with a PST or the the $500 HS version. He used the HS version on his AR and it is pretty solid. The reticle is a little lacking in that it is more difficult to range with it. Just another thought.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
I am sitting, or laying rather! I've been up all night with sick kids and out all morning looking for but wishing I was chasing mutts!

PLAN A
It really is just as fast to pull a complete rifle out of that pelican, nose to tail your horses and start shooting!

PLAN B
Find a spot to tie up your horse, or hope like hell he stands for a volley of rifle fire. You jerk your iron that you may have an altered zero by kicking the crap out of your scope in the process of horse racing wolves. You dig your bipod out of your backpack or saddle bag, find your rear bag out of your other saddle bag, by now you are panicking! You put all necessary long range shooting accessories together and start shooting......Oh crap the mutts are out of range.... Repeat PLAN B
Hank, Hope you all get healed up over there quickly. We need you out pasting wolves not tending to sick young ones.

You have just convinced me to set the Pelican up with all needed items for a shot including a cut out for a few rounds. Plus I will be modifying a pack saddle to carry it safely with a quick release. Note to self 'keep a lead rope attached to headstall".
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Jeff
It's a good thing Berger is taking some time to get that bullet out, they must be on the same plan I am.
I've had the SW MT plague that it sounds like Roosters dealing with, been through the 7 rings of hell the last couple weeks with this crap and just now feel like I can get out of the house

These scabbards are looking awesome!! What do you think about slinging them vertical from the horn? I've used one like that when I was a kid and really liked it cause I could get my 22 out and shoot rabbits without getting of the horse, I haven't done it with large rifle though, anyone try it?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I could get my 22 out and shoot rabbits without getting of the horse, I haven't done it with large rifle though, anyone try it?
Where have I heard this quote "Can I shoot from this horse"........ " Sure... Once"

Jeff
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Where have I heard this quote "Can I shoot from this horse"........ " Sure... Once"

Jeff
Did you mean this guy?
Attached Images