Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

Re: Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

Randy ; awesome looking work. I do a fair amont of leather work for myself. I'm a timber Faller and arborist. . My work isn't nearly as nice as yours but I make it as rugged as possible because of the extreme rough use. It sounds like you guys need to use those long range rifles on the wolf population.

Again, very nice! !
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

Good thread! Transporting a rifle is challenging, bush plane, boat, ATV, horseback, or on foot. Sometimes on the same trip. I've always tried to keep the scope up, more what I was taught than a hard fast rule. I don't recall a trip where the guides tack included a scabbard for 26" plus a break. An odd 26" with luck.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Jim,
You have the outside leather, then the the aluminum which will be about the size of the scope, then the neoprene, and finally the lining leather which will be next to your rifle and scope. All would be cemented with barge cement which is waterproof itself. My idea of adding the thin neoprene would be for shock absorption as well as waterproofness. Most quality holsters have a lining inside to protect the finish. I used to be a deputy sheriff for a large sheriffs department and I made alot of holsters for the guys using the aluminum support in between the leathers and I have never known them to wear out---and we drew our sidearms alot. I found a photo at work of a scabbard I did for my brother. This is what the finish looks like with neatsfoot oil. This is a rem 700, 338 ultra with a regular leupold on it. What I will do for the bigger scopes with target turrets is after I get the scabbard all cemented, I'll wet the leather, mold the scope turret areas and it will hold the "pouch" so to speak as it dries but the aluminum will add to the structure of the "pouch." His rifle is a number 4 contour but I can make the scabbard bigger for bigger rifles. As long as the cow is big enough, I can make it.

Randy
Randy, those are good lookin' scabbards for-sure. I actually drove out to a local guys shop this afternoon hoping to have something similar measured-out & made-up.. got there to find the leather he needs is backordered (Latigo leather) and he isn't sure when it'll be in. I actually took some leather coarses (coincidentally) "wayy-back-when" through 4-H growing-up. Came home to dig around in the garage tonight and found myself a good chunk of hide left over from long long ago in an old tote!! It isn't latigo leather, and that's obviously a plus because I can tool-in design and lettering of whatever I wish.. so right on

Question I got for-you is regarding that barge cement and the lining you've got inside those scabbards.. am I correct assuming you've got some kinda deer-skin or moose-hide or something sewn-in on the inside? I didn't even think of it til re-reading your post, but a layer of softer leather like that is actually a real good idea for a bit of padding and probably soft enough to be easier on both the rifle & the scopes finish! ...have I got you right with-that, is there deer-hide or moose layering in-there??

And where exactly do you get such a thing as barge-cement anyway? ..and how much are you using to bond the two layers of leather? Have you got to rough-up the back-side in any-way for a better bond, or dampen it a little or what???

I think I'm gonna get right at this thing actually.. I didn't really see asking about scabbards and turrets going quite this direction, haha, but it's ironically re-kindled an old art from my past I honestly did-not expect it to!

I appreciate all you guys' replies*
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Gold Member

Rooster, just a suggestion. But if you make all your paternal from cardboard. You will save yourself a lot of headache. . It works very well.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster721 View Post
Randy, those are good lookin' scabbards for-sure. I actually drove out to a local guys shop this afternoon hoping to have something similar measured-out & made-up.. got there to find the leather he needs is backordered (Latigo leather) and he isn't sure when it'll be in. I actually took some leather coarses (coincidentally) "wayy-back-when" through 4-H growing-up. Came home to dig around in the garage tonight and found myself a good chunk of hide left over from long long ago in an old tote!! It isn't latigo leather, and that's obviously a plus because I can tool-in design and lettering of whatever I wish.. so right on

Question I got for-you is regarding that barge cement and the lining you've got inside those scabbards.. am I correct assuming you've got some kinda deer-skin or moose-hide or something sewn-in on the inside? I didn't even think of it til re-reading your post, but a layer of softer leather like that is actually a real good idea for a bit of padding and probably soft enough to be easier on both the rifle & the scopes finish! ...have I got you right with-that, is there deer-hide or moose layering in-there??

And where exactly do you get such a thing as barge-cement anyway? ..and how much are you using to bond the two layers of leather? Have you got to rough-up the back-side in any-way for a better bond, or dampen it a little or what???

I think I'm gonna get right at this thing actually.. I didn't really see asking about scabbards and turrets going quite this direction, haha, but it's ironically re-kindled an old art from my past I honestly did-not expect it to!

I appreciate all you guys' replies*
Rooster, I get my barge by the gallon but you can also get it by the quart. I usually get mine through Weaver leather. I use pigskin for the lining leather---it is soft and tough and I love elk and deer hides but they don't work very well for lining. And you can also use whichever side you wish but yes, the rough out works a little better for bondage. Have fun!

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Should read " pattern "
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Hello rooster this is rooster!
I wolf hunt almost everyday horse back. My everyday saddle gun is a 243 with a 4-12 Leupold VXR with cds moa dial, or 25-06 with a Leupold 6-18 with a varmit reticle both are deadly to 500 yards.The area i hunt typically has a 20 -30 mph South wind. So farther then this is not of my ability.
I typically shoot my rifle everyday after I ride and half the time the zero will be off, usually not much but off is off. Plus I hate a big cumbersome rifle under my leg. I have found that for my Long range rig, it is just best to bring a pack horse and a hard case rigged to pack and open easy, or similar large padded soft case. This way you have bipod attached, and a rear bag and all the other goodies needed.