Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

Curious whether very many of you guys hunt off horseback, carrying your LR-rifles in scabbards ??

What scopes are you using, and have you had issues of any sorts related to parralx knobs & windage turrets?

One of the scopes I've got is a Huskemaw, obviously has a fairly low-profile parralax knob and a capped windage of pretty low-profile.. (used alot in this saddle-scenario) the other is a Diavari 6-24 (old style/no locking feature) and am considering a swap (from it) to a more saddle-friendly design..

Possibly another Zeiss, possibly a nighforce (want opinions/experiences from anyone who might frequent those in scabbards.. or not*) and possibly even another huskemaw actually... I do like mine an awful lot ~ this swap is completely related to horseback situations and scabbards

I'd like some inputs and opinions on the above scopes.. advantages & disadvantages... past experiences, etc etc

...appreciate it*
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Saddle scabbards & target-turrets

I have been working on it. I have been building a model rifle/ scope from an old stock, 1" PVC (barrel and scope knobs) and 2 1/2" PVC (scope). I am going to soak, stretch and shrink a scabbard Harper so kindly gave me to a custom fit for my rifle. As of yet I have not had any issues with turrets turning on the NXS. More issues with long rifles and getting them comfortably on a horse.

I started a thread once with the perfect wolf rifle in mind. In fact I still plan to build it. It will wear the compact 2.5x10x32 NXS with the shorter turrets. This rifle will be all about packing it in a scabbard on a horse.

My plans to get all this done were slowed when my horse tipped over backwards with me at the end of summer. All the breaks are healed now and I have been riding a little again lately. Soon I will be finishing the scabbard and will post pics.

Jeff
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
All the breaks are healed now and I have been riding a little again lately. Soon I will be finishing the scabbard and will post pics.

Jeff
They say you can't call yourself cowboy til you've been bucked-off at least once, lol... nahh kiddin' aside, is good to hear you're not throwin' in the towel and giving up. Lot's do after a big spill.

I'd be very curious to see what you come up with far as the scabbard goes*

You mentioned a pretty small Bell on that scope though, 32mm?? I been considering either an nxs in 3.5-15 or possibly even the 5.5-22.. both are 50mm obviously. Probably also do a custom scabbard to length n such. My biggest concern is the fairly protruded parralax/illumination on the nightforces, along with the pretty-big windage (and no cap feature*) ...but guess the G7 line might cure the windage concern, still not the long paralax though

Have you saddled such a scope as that by chance? ...or anyone else
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Gold Member

rooster721---funny this topic came up.
I have a leather shop and mostly do it as a hobby. I am currently working on a long range rifle scabbard---it will be leather but will also incorporate aluminum around the scope and a light neoprene will be sandwiched between the outside leather and the lining leather---mainly for shock absorption and waterproofness. I think it will work well for both the rifle and the horse and it will look like a traditional look. I should have one finished next week. The rifle will be a long range rig with a nightforce scope.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
I have a leather shop and mostly do it as a hobby. I am currently working on a long range rifle scabbard---it will be leather but will also incorporate aluminum around the scope and a light neoprene will be sandwiched between the outside leather and the lining leather---mainly for shock absorption and waterproofness. I think it will work well for both the rifle and the horse and it will look like a traditional look. I should have one finished next week. The rifle will be a long range rig with a nightforce scope.

Randy
Randy, Please send me pics and a price. We need to talk...

Jeff
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post

Randy
I have three scabbards all of which are now to short....end of scabbard to the bolt notch. The elevation and windage turrets stick out to far they won't even start to slip in and if they did they would rotate no doubt. There is a saddle shop there in town and was going to have something built but it has not been a priority with me as have not used the horses to hunt from in a couple years.

I would like to see what you come up with. The aluminum around the scope is that formed so the turrets have clearance and no pressure? I use the scabbards with the scope down and on the right they just ride better for me that way but with the turrets I think the scope probably should go up so no pressure on the elevation knob and that would put the rifle on the left.

Post some pictures when it's finished or PM me if you want

I've been looking at the Vortex HS LR scope simply because it has a capped windage knob that is about three quarters of a inch and the uncapped elevation knob is only an inch. That's about half the size of the ones I use now.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Bronze Member

I did a bit of research last year for a scabbard for a back country deer hunt I went on this past November. I tried one commercially made one that did not fit my rifle. Which is a .338RUM with a NXS 3.5x15x50 scope.

I ended up having one made by a horse and pack shop I found on the internet. They made a very nice scabbard but they were not fun to deal with and made the first one too small. Even after sending pictures of my rifle and all the dimensions.

The 2nd one they made fit nicely and I used it for 3 days on a deer hunt in Nevada. The outfitter wouldn't let me use it on my horse, he said it was too big and we ended up putting it on our pack horse. It worked out fine but I didn't understand why he thought it was too "dangerous". Something about how long it was and the horse, dismounting, etc. If we didn't have a pack horse I don't know what we would have done.

We did have it on my horse the first evening and it seemed to work out fine. I don't know how it can get any smaller. My rifle is a LR rifle but I think the total length is around 52 inches.

There is enough room that the nobs and scope are snug but not so tight that you have to pull hard to take the rifle out. It worked as I thought it should work, just not on the horse I was riding. Which I guess could be a problem in the future.