Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

S.O.S.-New Scope setup looks 'left'...a lot!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

S.O.S.-New Scope setup looks 'left'...a lot!

I'm getting ready to sight in my new scope and notice the scope crosshairs are looking way to the left of the bore. I'm talking on the order of 2 inches left at 30 yards or so. Even with full windage dialed in, I still can't quite get the vertical crosshairs to line up with the bore.

I took the scope off and played with all the screws, trying them back on a dozen times. Nothing. Then, I switched rings fore and aft, same result (tells me it's not the rings or it would lean right after the swap).

All the parts are new except the rifle. The rifle used to have standard Leupold rings with a Vari X III. Now it has an EGW picatinny 20 MOA base, Seekins 1" rings, and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5 x 20 x 50mm. Apparently, the problems lies either in the a) holes tapped into the receiver or b) the EGW base is off.

Any ideas/fixes from the gurus??? I hate to start buying bases till I find one, but I really hate to have a receiver who's holes are wrong.

Many thanks in advance, guys.

Scott

.338 Norma Mag, Stiller Tac338 & Rock Creek barrel
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: S.O.S.-New Scope setup looks 'left'...a lot!

Two inches at 30 yards is not that far off. It is only just over 6 MOA at 100 yards. You should be able to get your windage accross that far. After all you have a 20 MOA rail fitted and you should be able to still center the cross hairs in the vertical with that. Have you tried the original scope on the new base?

Try spinning the base about 180 degrees, as you did with the rings. It will be pointing up instead of down but it may give you an idea of what's going on.

If the old bases aligned the old scope OK then the screw holes are most likley OK.

I would center the windage turret in the middle of its travel then fire a shot at a target to see where the actual point of impact lies. This will give you some true data to work from.

If it is that far off the target that you are not happy with it. Then the next thing that I would do is run a micrometer over your rings and base set up. If it is that far out you should be able to pick it up with your measurements and compare it against the point of impact from the shots you fired.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

we bought (3) Rem 700's from cabelas several months ago, and my father in law had the same problem with his. I took the gun to shawn carlock and he looked it over and verified that the holes in the reciever are not straight. I called Remington and the gentlemen wasnt surprised at all. he said it happens sometimes and if i sent it back they would ship to cabelas a new rifle. cabelas said they would take care of all of that for me. bottom line, the gun shot well, so our option was to have a gunsmith do some work, or go back to the rear windage leupold ring ( the cheapest option, so the one he chose). with the adjustment in the base, he hasnt had any problems since. The gun shoots very well.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

I did try another scope on the base and the same thing happens. And it's more like 3" off at 15 yards. I definitely don't have enough windage to make it right.

The rifle is several years old and I've had it worked over pretty good by a great gunsmith in Denver. Returning it to Remington isn't an option at this point.

It does sound like it's a receiver hole problem vice lousy base, doesn't it? Can a decent gunsmith fix that or am I stuck with discarding the base and rings and going back to traditional rings and bases?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

It depends on how far it is off. I believe alot of the time, a smith can re-tap to a larger size and correct the problem.

good luck to you.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Bronze Member

Is it likely that it's the EGW base? Assuming it's not and it's the taped holes that are misaligned, what are my options if the smith can't fix the receiver? Is there such a thing as a one or two piece, 1", 20 MOA, windage adjustable base that can take heavy recoil?

BTW, I did measure the error and it's about 18 MOA. I only have +/- 15 MOA adjustment on my scope.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Check out Burris, I am sure they make one that takes their ring inserts.