Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

S&B variable scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 12:34 AM

Re: S&B variable scopes

Thanks for the information. Pete Lincoln... is the S&B tactical scope better optically than a standard variable? How do these two compare to the Zenith? It seems that the package around the lenses is different in all three, but the core is the same. Can I get the tactical in a 42mm objective? And how are they compared to Swarovski?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Gold Member

I'm not Pete but I think the S&B will be the better choice over the Swarovski. The USMC recently gave S&B a contract for over a million dollars worth of scopes, this to replace the aging (and reportedly failing) Unertl scopes on their sniper rifles. (Not slamming Unertl, it's just that those scopes are 25 to 30 years old--and older).

Premier Reticle has the contract to replace the S&B mildot reticle with their Gen II model.

Since the Marine Corp chose the S&B, I would have to believe it's a helluva tough scope. Of course the Navy Seals chose the Nightforce NXS, which is another fine choice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

With the S&B, from what I've read, the PMII's do not have much windage and elevation adjustment (which seems weird, given the size of the tubes)--so you would need an elevated scope base in order to be able to dial out to 1000 yards for most cartridges. I think the recommendation is for a 29 MOA base.

Dan
Old 01-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

The zenith is replacing the classic line, its new shape, apparently better coatings'than the classic(but i cant tell the difference) I'd choose a S&B over a Swarovski or Zeiss any day. there is nothing wrong with the classic line, the zeniths (although looking like a french wine bottle) have the superb flash dot in much of the range. excellent for moving targets.
The PMII's have 13mils or elevation in 1 turn, put that on a 20moa base and you have plenty of adjustment. get the double turn and you've even more( the varmint and ph scopes have limited elevation, your only good to 550 yards or so depending on caliber)
I can whole heartedly recomend S&B scopes.
The PMII tacticals are probably tougher, thicker tubes, mil spec etc, but that doesn't mean the hunting type scopes aren't tough, they are as tough or tougher than anything else out there.
and yes, the PMII 4-16x is available in a 42mm Obj.
regards Pete
Old 01-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

pete7mm...I'm selling one in the buy sell section on this site!

3-12x42 like new!

JB
Old 01-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Thank you for the information, gentlemen.