Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

S&B PM II 4-16 Tactical Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 05:58 PM

S&B PM II 4-16 Tactical Scope

I have had the good fortune to aquire one of these...

I do love the functionality of the USO ST-10 scopes and therfore it will stay on my 308, but I will soon have a new home for the S&B.. ;-)

I have to say I have not ever observed quite the clarity, resolution, detail and color transfer quite as well as this S&B. Simply amazing.... I can without question distinguish tiny branches on trees at over 750- yards.. I am just simply impressed... not to mention the lt. browns are lt. browns the lt. greens are lt. greens and the lt. greys are lt. greys.. 3 colors that are hard to distiguish in a scope....
Old 12-15-2004, 09:08 PM

Re: S&B PM II 4-16 Tactical Scope

Hi Ric
What new stick is in the making? Tell all!!
Although I have never had the fortune to use a S&B I have one Zeiss scope and also used a Swaro a bit.
The quality euro scopes seem to have a definite edge in clarity and colour rendition.
We don't see many NF here in Australia but I managed to track one down last month [5.5-22 NXS]and was very dissapointed with it in both of these areas. No doubt they are tough as nails and reliable but the image left a lot to be desired.
I also use a LRT Leupold but have narrowed down my next scope purchase for my 22/6mm to the Zeiss 6-24VMV.
I need more power than the S&B for my "itty bitty" targets.
Best wishes for the Xmas season.
APB
Old 12-16-2004, 12:53 PM

New Stick.. inquiring minds wanna know right?? LOL..

I'll be posting pics as soon as Chris finishes it.....

It'll wear the S&B... Chris says that he's really please with it so far so that gets me pretty pumped up when he's happy with it!!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Bronze Member

Ric so how does the S&B compare in a side to side with the USO ST-10 as far as optic clarity etc? I've looked through both but never side by side to get a good comparison. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:55 PM

OK .. don't wanna get anyone stirred into a frenzy.. but my opinion and my opinion only... and Ihave looked througha top of the line Ziess too... just not side by side...

The ST-10 is perfect for the 308 to 1K in a tactical rugged no nonsense easy of operation setting.... the optics are first rate no doubt about that...

but here's a quote from an e-mail I sent to a person asking the same thing... I did do some editing...

I have a USO, and the S&B.. I did a test at 10X the USO glass doesn't even come close to the S&B glass.. I mean not even close.....it is very good but...

I focused on a shrub at about 750 yards... the color was a burnt deep red color with really fine twigs... only detectable with the S&B.. with the other I saw a medium brown bush....

I had a Buck Mule deer at about 200 yards so I did the same experiment.... I could see the striations and texture of the hair not so with the other...

That being said.. I would and will at some point purchase a USO for tactical applications but for my LR rig thats on the way... the S&B is really gonna have to fail in some other respect for me not to use it...
Old 12-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

Ric, what power is your ST-10??..sakofan...I wonder how a SN-3 would do going head to head with the S&B?? It would be a more of a apple to apple comparison, I would think. Kudos to the S&B though!! For sure!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2004, 07:36 PM

My ST-10 is just the standard 10X with ergo obj. EREK knob lit Mil-Dot Ret. w/ranging brackets