Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Russian Optical range finders? Are these any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Russian Optical range finders? Are these any good?

All, I've been looking for a Wild rangefinder with no luck. I just ran across these Russian units and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, especially compared to a Wild.

I already have a Swaro, but with a 338AM on order, I figured I should start looking for something that would work a little 'better' in long/flat terrain (thinking about Antelope in Montana this fall).

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog...roducts_id=766

Thanks,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Russian Optical range finders? Are these any good?

[ QUOTE ]
All, I've been looking for a Wild rangefinder with no luck. I just ran across these Russian units and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, especially compared to a Wild.

I already have a Swaro, but with a 338AM on order, I figured I should start looking for something that would work a little 'better' in long/flat terrain (thinking about Antelope in Montana this fall).

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog...roducts_id=766

Thanks, Don

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a long range range finder - the optical base is about 11 or 12 inches and accurate ranging will be limited to under ~800 or so yards.

This is more a sniper's rangefinder (308).

For those ranges, a pocket laser rangefinder would be the best choice.

LRH member #23
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Got two wild range finders in my equipment inventory. Purchased them several years ago and have never used them yet. I have no idea how they operate, but intend on learing as soon as the snow melts.

They have a stand of some sort, and come cased in a metal tube.

Where is your location? If you were anywhere close to Idaho we could hook up and try them out. I'd like to learn more about them so day, and actually see them in employment.

I've seen the russian tool before. I'm told the wild is capable of longer distance readings than this tool.

One thing these old rangfinders are is heavy. Man are they heavy.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Got two wild range finders in my equipment inventory. Purchased them several years ago and have never used them yet. I have no idea how they operate, but intend on learing as soon as the snow melts.

They have a stand of some sort, and come cased in a metal tube.

Where is your location? If you were anywhere close to Idaho we could hook up and try them out. I'd like to learn more about them so day, and actually see them in employment.

I've seen the russian tool before. I'm told the wild is capable of longer distance readings than this tool.

One thing these old rangfinders are is heavy. Man are they heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in Michigan, so it would be quite a trip to play with the rangefinders. However, would you be interested in selling one of them?

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 01-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

I got a wild sent all the way to the UK from an E-bay firm "sports collect ables" I believe.

A bit of a gamble on my part but it arrived with all the parts for 154-00 + quite a lot of shipping money!

I calibrated it with my LRF 1200 and it is very accurate.

Have ranged things to 13KM ish???

Confirmed accurate ranging to 2000Mtrs.

Have got good/easy readings off Electric Radio controlled Targets to 1200mtrs.

Generally the wild is built to the highest spec and the optics are top class!

Reasonably easy to get repeatable readings with some practice.

Gerald
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Peacock,

Have two complete rangefinders, and plan on keeping at least one for using. I may be able to part with one. Before I sell one, especially to someone on this forum, I need to do two things.

First I need to find out how to use them. Perhaps you or Catshooter can help me with this. After I have used them, and calibrate them, and they work I may sell. The are complete and in fair condition, not beat up. But I must use and verify they are in 100%working order before sale.

I have a Leica 1200 rangefinder to calibrate with and will try to break them out as soon as we get some warmer weather. However I must confirm they operate before I depart with one.

Some one want to help with instructions?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Shortshooter,

I'd love to help you, but I've never used one. Please put me on the top of the list for one, if/when you decide to sell.

Meanwhile, I'll look around for instructions etc.

Thanks,
Don