Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Rings and bases for $100

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #50  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,875
Re: Rings and bases for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderboy250 View Post
The rate my luck has been going lately plus the report of poor customer service posted earlier in the thread and no one rebuking it made my not really feel like even trying to send it back. I wasn't waiting another month if I could help it. Also I suspect it is rather uncommon for someone to put that particular rail on a mark v so they may not even know they have a problem. In the event that were the case it would take even longer for the situation to be corrected. I had to tools and know how to fix it so I did. At the same time however, if they don't at least do something to make it right I may never buy another of their products which is unfortunate because I was hoping to put that mount on other guns. I'm just glad I didn't pay the extra and go through the extra wait time to get the thing in a different finish I wanted.

That total post was simply for your benefit to easy your own conscience. No more than 2 words are factually true.

You, yourself dont know of any bad customer service and why do you think you would wait a month on a return? Why do you think it "uncommon" for someone to put that particular rail on a "great" Mark 5"..??...YOU did!
Its a post for a pity party and not much more.

I, myself had the wrong rail in hand...their fault or mine?? and I needed the other length. Called them on monday morning....and mailed mine back to them on monday afternoon.....had the proper one in my mail box friday afternoon.

They are in Quakertown, PA partner...NOT the backside of the moon so I dont understand why you think swapping parts requires the Pentagons approval.....geeze
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,448
Re: Rings and bases for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderboy250 View Post
Exactly. Even if I had indexed it in on the mill and used a boring bar or some such cutter it would still need bedded to be perfect.
I don't get the correlation. Keep in mind I own a short run machine shop so terms like 'indexed it on the mill or boring bar is completely wrong and not at all doable in the first place and as an aside I see lots of that uninformed stuff on this site. Makes me cringe.

The rail must be set up for remachining with a sine bar and fixtured to the table using the bar to extrapolate the required angle. It has to be form milled or ground with a wheel cut to the radius you wish to obtain that matches the receiver or ball milled with an appropriate ball mill. Thats how it's done. Boring bars are for internal boring of holes, not radius machining.

Glad it worked out, Like Sully, I would have returned it and not cabbaged it up. It's a dead issue now. If I was the manufacturer and you returned anything to me that you 'modified', I'd tell you to stuff it.

Be careful with that mill, you are headed for a tooling crash and possibly personal injury.
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 46
Re: Rings and bases for $100

Hate to start any arguments but since this was my thread to begin with let me say it the last post had nothing to do with my conscience. I just wanted to shoot this weekend so I did what I had to do. I was tired of waiting on the incompetence of others. As for what I do on my mill I understand that I have no formal training and most of what I do is probably wrong. I have also had things go wrong before and it was always with a setup that I knew was questionable to start with but I was willing to risk it due to not really having any other option. That being said, if I had felt I could not not do the operation by hand I would have jiged it up using what little tooling I have and stuck a boring bar in the boring in the boring head, run it out to the correct radius, and it would have worked fine, right or wrong. After all a radius cut such as this is simply a portion of a hole is it not?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 46
Re: Rings and bases for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
That total post was simply for your benefit to easy your own conscience. No more than 2 words are factually true.

You, yourself dont know of any bad customer service and why do you think you would wait a month on a return? Why do you think it "uncommon" for someone to put that particular rail on a "great" Mark 5"..??...YOU did!
Its a post for a pity party and not much more.

I, myself had the wrong rail in hand...their fault or mine?? and I needed the other length. Called them on monday morning....and mailed mine back to them on monday afternoon.....had the proper one in my mail box friday afternoon.

They are in Quakertown, PA partner...NOT the backside of the moon so I dont understand why you think swapping parts requires the Pentagons approval.....geeze
I probably shouldn't take offense to this as I realize it is only your opinion. Maby this combo is common. Sorry I had a thought that was not based on any evidence, but I am only human. I realize if I wanted to spend an entire day and a tank of fuel I could have driven right to quakertown and talked to them personally but that would not have done any good at the moment if they are indeed out of stock as there website states. It did require an extra wait to get it in the first place so don't try to tell me what I say can't be right. Maby it isn't but u have no proof to what u say either.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,875
Re: Rings and bases for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderboy250 View Post
I probably shouldn't take offense to this as I realize it is only your opinion. Maby this combo is common. Sorry I had a thought that was not based on any evidence, but I am only human. I realize if I wanted to spend an entire day and a tank of fuel I could have driven right to quakertown and talked to them personally but that would not have done any good at the moment if they are indeed out of stock as there website states. It did require an extra wait to get it in the first place so don't try to tell me what I say can't be right. Maby it isn't but u have no proof to what u say either.
You are just arguing with yourself to attempt to justify your own actions.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 46
Re: Rings and bases for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
You are just arguing with yourself to attempt to justify your own actions.
I am done with this thread. Sully2 I respectfully request u stay away from any of my threads in the future. I'm sorry if I upset u. I did not intend to. I'm also sorry if u did not intend to upset me but u did so I just ask that u leave me alone. Thanks, Jimmy
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,875
Re: Rings and bases for $100

You are just arguing with yourself to attempt to justify your own actions.

You should have been done with it right after your first foolish post of "fixing" a problem that didnt actually exist
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do You Think Slingshots Should Be Legalized For Hunting Brown Bear?
Yes - 47.11%
906 Votes
No - 52.89%
1,017 Vote
Total Votes: 1,923
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC