Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rings and bases for $100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderboy250 View Post
I still didn't get out my feeler gauges but if the rear 2 screws are tightened and the front ones omitted ther is a gap under the front section that is by my eye between .010 and .020 inch. This is not a tapering gap either, mind you, it is parallel. If the amount of the gap wre precisely removed from the rear section where it contacts the reciever it would not need any bedding to fit properly and it would not be canted one way or the other. The rail is supposed to be a 20 moa. If I were to use the bedding methods described here I would wind up with 30 or 40 moa and/or the rail being pulled into a slight S shape.
Agreed the base does not fit the receiver well. You could exchange it or switch to another brand, which cost time and/or money. You take a small gamble either way. Or you could bed the base you have and move on. Then you certainly will have a perfectly fitting base.

Based on your last post, you could bed just the front of the base, filling the 10-20 mil gap. In this case you would tighten the rear screws to 20 in-lbs during epoxy set, but not the front ones. FYI, I use a lower torque value than others because I've seen EGW screw heads strip before.

If you have an even gap under the front base, I think you will end up with a 20 MOA cant on the base if you bed the front. The cant angle is relative to the receiver surface. If the base is attached flat to the receiver, you should still have a 20 MOA cant. A parallel gap under the front (or back for that matter) should not alter the cant angle.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rings and bases for $100

This rail is for a magnum caliber weatherby mark v. And again to the naysayers I'm not going to bed a .020" gap under a scope rail. That would look hideous on a beautiful wood stocked gun. It may not be worth as much as some of your custom rigs but it's mine and I want to be happy with it or I may as well sell the whole mess and get something I do like. So back to what I'm going to do with this thing. I think withsome careful measuring and filing and measuring, ect. I can get this thing into an appropriate configuration that it can be bedded and still have no noticeable gap at either end. That being said, what would you recommend I use to bed this thing to take up a gap ranging from 0 to a couple thousandths.

By the way Bruce, I seem to have struck a nerve or upset u and I apologize I didn't mean it that way. Also again I don't mean to be critical but in my understanding mills and thousandths are drastically different measurements. Just to avoid confusion, the measurements I am talking about here are in thousandths of an inch, not mills.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
This rail is for a magnum caliber weatherby mark v. And again to the naysayers I'm not going to bed a .020" gap under a scope rail. That would look hideous on a beautiful wood stocked gun. It may not be worth as much as some of your custom rigs but it's mine and I want to be happy with it or I may as well sell the whole mess and get something I do like. So back to what I'm going to do with this thing. I think withsome careful measuring and filing and measuring, ect. I can get this thing into an appropriate configuration that it can be bedded and still have no noticeable gap at either end. That being said, what would you recommend I use to bed this thing to take up a gap ranging from 0 to a couple thousandths.

By the way Bruce, I seem to have struck a nerve or upset u and I apologize I didn't mean it that way. Also again I don't mean to be critical but in my understanding mills and thousandths are drastically different measurements. Just to avoid confusion, the measurements I am talking about here are in thousandths of an inch, not mills.
Sorry for the bad communication on my part. To me, 0.001" = 1 mil. If that's an obsolete term, I apologize for the confusion. Also, I'm not upset at all. I tend to post in a concise style that's efficient for me. I guess I should be more casual and folksy. Honestly, if I were offended I simply would not respond at all.

Back to your questions. I always use JB Weld to bed bases. I would not hesitate to bed a 0.020" gap under a scope mount. I'm reworking a Czech VZ-24 and had to fill a 0.050" gap under the rear scope mount. If the gap is thicker than about 0.020", I will stick a piece of brass shim in there as a space filler, but's probably not needed because JB Weld already has so much filler in it.

Your sense of aesthetics is different than mine. I'm more of a "six foot" type of guy - if It looks good from six feet away, I'm usually satisfied. I'm more concerned with function and reliability. To me, firearms are tools rather than works of art.

If I wanted the scope mount to look good, I would not modify it with a file. I would use my mill instead. I would probably cut the rear mount using a boring bar (because I have one), but there are much better machinists on this site from which to get advice.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

"I would probably cut the rear mount using a boring bar (because I have one),"

Not to be a SA, but I'd like to see that.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Bronze Member

I was considering putting it on my mill and prob would have if it were a 0 moa base. As it is a 20 moa it seemed it would take me a lot of setup work to get it dialed in so I just did it by hand. Turned out remarkably well. Lots of careful measuring and ingenuity. Wound up sticking a psa disc to a piece of 4" exhaust pipe to match the curvature of the receiver top. It didn't even match that we'll from the factory. Rather proud of myself. I may still take it back of and cut just a whisker more and then bed it but it really fits well already. Thanks for all the suggestions and thought provoking comments so far. It has been much appreciated. As of now I have achieved my price goal, or close enough. The rail was 62.99 and the rings 19/piece for a grand total of 100.99 with the free shipping. If I can zero it without much trouble and it tracks at progressive ranges ill be ecstatic. Somehow I suspect it won't be that simple. Happy shooting
Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Why not just buy the correct mount for whatever receiver your working on......lots simpler???
Old 07-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
...Thanks for all the suggestions and thought provoking comments so far. It has been much appreciated. As of now I have achieved my price goal, or close enough. The rail was 62.99 and the rings 19/piece for a grand total of 100.99 with the free shipping. If I can zero it without much trouble and it tracks at progressive ranges ill be ecstatic. Somehow I suspect it won't be that simple. Happy shooting
Good job using what's available to get 'er done. Once you bed it, the base will fit perfectly.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics