Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rings and bases for $100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Here's a tip for the OP. I've seen that tactical rings priced above about $75/pair usually have all surfaces machined, including the inner ring surfaces.

Tactical rings that are priced below about $75/pair are usually cut from extruded bar stock. The ring surfaces that grip the scope tube usually have extrusion marks and are not precisely cylindrical. Otherwise, they have good strength. Burris tactical rings are an example of extruded rings.

Lapping these extruded rings will make them cylindrical and will make the rings coaxial (properly aligned). If you have access to a lapping bar you can save a few bucks by buying extruded rings instead of the more expensive and precise machined ones, and then lapping them.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 07-15-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rings and bases for $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welderboy250 View Post
I think I'll get the egw hd picatinny rail but still don't know what rings I want. I don't care for the looks of any of the egw rings. I like the way the nightforce rings look but they r way out of my price range. Anyone have any suggestions?
Most problem I've heard with the EGW rail is associated with the weak screws when over torque, get stronger screws for them.

Consider the Burris Signature Zee rings with inserts (Burris Signature Zee Rings 1" : Cabela's).

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Most problem I've heard with the EGW rail is associated with the weak screws when over torque, get stronger screws for them.

Good luck!

You have HEARD...but never experienced.... People raunching down on those little screws and never really torqueing them is what causes it...and besides you can buy for a small additional $$ socket head cap screws from them. Those PLUS a good torque wrench stops all that torn up screw heads problems ( If any)
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
You have HEARD...but never experienced.... People raunching down on those little screws and never really torqueing them is what causes it...and besides you can buy for a small additional $$ socket head cap screws from them. Those PLUS a good torque wrench stops all that torn up screw heads problems ( If any)
"Yes, I have heard but never experienced it" is correct ... I have a couple and used the screws that came with it without any problem.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the input. I like socket head screws so I may buy some for use in my new rail when it arrives in 4-6 weeks. The jerks where I bought it from led me to believe it was in stock on their website so I ordered it from them rather than someone else who had it listed out of stock. Of course I didn't find out about the wait time until a couple days later in an order update email. Makes me want to cancel the order and buy it from someone who was more honest in the first place. Thanks a lot tacticalstore.com NOT! I also ordered some vortex 30mm tactical rings. I wanted something that looked a little more sleek but since I couldn't find anything I liked at a reasonable price I opted for cheap. Maby I can work them over a little, the only problem is refinishing them. So if u have any suggestions in that department I am all ears. Thanks, Jimmy
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

The good news is I got the stuff already. The unfortunate part is the $65 rail seems to be of lower quality than the $32 set of rings. At first glance it all looks great but the section that sits on the rear of the receiver is too tall. When the front screws are tightened it pulls it down and bows the rail which of course will throw the rings out of alignment. Guess ill have to do some work to the rail unless EGW wants a repeat customer and makes it right. I like the looks of the thing but it is too tall so I don't know what to do.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

Egw's customer service is terrible. I won't be purchasing anything from them again. Good luck