Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rings and bases for $100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Rings and bases for $100

I have been driving myself crazy trying to put together a decent rig that I like and can b proud of. Have a plastic stocked mark V 300 wby mag in good used condition and found a broken lazermark stock that ill be able to repair and have a pretty working mans gun. Also just bought an awesome used vx-3 lr 4.5-14x40 from a fine gentleman on this site. So I need to get it all mounted together in a way that is both pleasing to my eye and efficient in function and cost. I'd like to be able to buy the parts for less than 100 and I would say I'm definitely not willing to go over 150 for the stuff.
With that in mind I was looking at the EGW picatinny rail and rings but they are aluminum. Maby that is fine but I have been told by more than one local magnum fanatic that I had to have steel rings and bases. So I'm looking for ideas and opinions on what to do before I go bonkers. Thanks, Jimmy

Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rings and bases for $100

I'd go Talley rings on that setup. I like the screw locks best but the one piece works well too. Should be a great rig when you finish.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately talley doesn't seem to offer anything that works with a picatinny style base. I was hoping for a somewhat universal system so I can apply it to other guns in the future and be able to easily swap scopes around if need be without buying more parts.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

You don't need steel rings on magnums these days.....That's an old wives tale. Back in the day the alloys weren't anywhere bear as strong as they are today.

The EGW HD aluminum base will be strong enough. Also, the TPS TSR aluminum rings (ultra-low height, in your case) will be just fine for that rifle.

I use that combo on several rifles and it works just fine for me. One of them is a 7mmSTW.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

You might find everything you need here:

Evolution Gun Works Inc..

joseph
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You don't need steel rings on magnums these days.....That's an old wives tale. Back in the day the alloys weren't anywhere bear as strong as they are today.

The EGW HD aluminum base will be strong enough. Also, the TPS TSR aluminum rings (ultra-low height, in your case) will be just fine for that rifle.

I use that combo on several rifles and it works just fine for me. One of them is a 7mmSTW.
AMEN!!! I get sick of seeing that AL mounts and rings cant work for XX caliber.....because about 90% are flat wrong.

Im with ya on this one
Old 07-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
AMEN!!! I get sick of seeing that AL mounts and rings cant work for XX caliber.....because about 90% are flat wrong.

Im with ya on this one
Yep. Back then the alloy mixtures weren't near as pure or accurate as they are these days with all the technology and equipment we have now.

The EGW HD bases are made of 7075 aircraft grade aluminum and are VERY strong and rigid, but also more malable than steel, which means that they can absorb recoil shock better than a steel base.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.