Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rings and base for a Nightforce 5.5-22x50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Bronze Member

Rings and base for a Nightforce 5.5-22x50

I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 which I am putting on a Remington 700 in 270 Winchester. I have replaced the factory stock with an HS precisions vertical grip stock, but I still have the sporter weight barrel on the receiver. I want to shoot it some first before I decide on a rebarrel. If I use my warne 2 piece steel bases and Burris Signature Zee 30mm High rings, will this set-up hold the heavy Nightforce in place?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rings and base for a Nightforce 5.5-22x50

If you take a barreled action out of the stock and remove the bolt this will reviel the two thin strips of steel that connect the rear of the receiver to the front. The scope will be mounted 1/2 on each side of this thin weak area. For me it is easy to see that during recoil how this area could flex. With one piece bases that flex will be transfered up and into your scope tube. The scope tube now becomes the link trying to keep everything in line. With this in mind I only use one piece bases and good rings. I don't feel I want to put one of my scopes through the possible beating and I also feel it will be much easier for everythingto stay put if I add the integrity of a good quality one piece base. Think of the one piece base as a strengthing bridge. $115 will get you a Nightforce rail. That is what I would do with your 700.

JMO

Jeff
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Not that I'm anyone that really matters but I agree with Broz 100%!!!

I now mount everything in NF bases and rings. Or, at the least, NF rings when a NF pic rail isn't available for my application.

IMO, if you do it right the first time, ie. NF pic rail & NF rings, you won't ever have to worry about it again. So, do yourself a favor, get a NF picatinny long action rail and some .885 or 1.0 NF rings and be done. And, if you ever decide to turn that 270win into something else, that setup will hold up to any chambering you could turn your long action Remmy into.

None of the good stuff is ever cheap but look on the bright side, you already bought the really expensive part. The rail and rings will seem like pocket change compared to that scope.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Bronze Member

Broz and B23,

Have you tried the Near base? What about Leupold and Badger Ordinance rings? I'm just considering all my options. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

All those brands are good stuff. They will serve you well.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barm View Post
Broz and B23,

Have you tried the Near base? What about Leupold and Badger Ordinance rings? I'm just considering all my options. Thanks.
Consider Seekins Precision bases and rings made out of 7000 series aluminum. Light and stronger than steel and won't rust and prices are better than most. He's a member here. I've got 'em on two rifles and have had no trouble whatsoever.

His 30mm rings are .8" wide as well--quite a bit more gripping power than most. When I put these on my BAT HRPIC action (integral 20 moa rail), got ready to do my standard scope ring lapping job, but after inserting the alignment tool, I could not visualzie ANY misalignment--and I looked hard for it--a testimony to BAT and Seekins Precision.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

barm, Near makes a VERY nice product but you almost have to take out a 2nd on your house to buy one. I called and asked about a pic rail for my Accumark and they told me $300 YIKES, Ummm, I politely said I'll have to get back to you on that.

But, there is no doubt, they make top notch quality pieces. If I could afford it, I would probably have their rails on everything I own.