Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which rings.??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2003, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which rings.??

All right guys, here's a question - What rings have you guys seen fail? I have heard of a half dozen or so of Badger rings FAIL. Check it out on the tactical sites. Never heard of the Nightforce, Luppy Mark-IV's, or Barrett's having problems. Although the Bagers have the loudest bragers. I own a couple of heavy kickers that are light. This means more kick, and torque against a scope. I have never had rings fail, or break, or even bend a scope. What are you guys doing wrong? I know that some of the pre 74 Remington actions are slightly "off" and if new rings/basses used with them, you will bend your scope, but other than that, what the heck are 'ya doing? Some of the heavy long range rifles with there breaks, help to tame recoil. I have a letter from Leupold that states that there Dual Dovetail rings are 100% as strong as there Mark IV rings. Wouldn't this be a great set of rings for Jake, and save him 100 SMACKERS? Can't believe nobody has mentioned 'em. Yea, he has the 20 MOA basses, but doesn't the Nightforce scope have enough adjustment to get to 1000 yards without the basses? Then again, how about shimming reg-lar basses? Well, rant off I guess, but isn't the idea to be able to save money? So that we can shoot more?
Old 05-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Jake
remember just buy nice that way you don't have to buy twice. I like leupold rings but never tried any thing else. From what I hear the burris rings are good and the baddger, but don't you buy no ugly set of rings a set of good rings will last you a ling time. Another words a good set of rings is a good investment.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Don't matter if the ring set has one or two dovetails, the frigging dovetail is a weak link - just look at how much metal is left after they cut the dovetail. I was in Redfield's factory (the originator of this design) and they told me that the biggest problem that they had was the dovetails shearing off or bending over.
Plus it is metal on metal contact that results in removal of metal when the dovetail is turned 90 degrees, regardless of how much grease is put on the surfaces. Do that a few times and they will loosen, will eventually spin 360 degrees and they will wobble sideways. I baby my stuff as much as possible but more than once I have seen metal strips inside the dovetail cuts after removing a set of rings - that is crap. And I have the nifty Leupold ring-wrench to install and remove the rings with.
Badgers and MK4 might be heavier and butt-ass ugly but they are the simplest and strongest rings for the money (personally I think they look great, guess they grow on a person).
I have been told by guys who were there that the Marine armorers welded the bottom section of the Redfield style rings to the bases in Vietnam, because they did not hold.
Someone at Leupold is full of **** if they said that the dual dovetails are as strong as the MK4, just not so. Maybe some suit said that, I doubt that anyone who uses both would ever make that statement. I have seen the dovetails bend over, that DOES NOT happen with Badgers or MK4's.
As for problems with Badgers, if there were any Marty Bordson would fix whatever in a heartbeat, that is how he operates.
Let's face it, most shooters could use 19 dollar aluminum Tasco rings for all the shooting and abuse they give their scopes [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2003, 08:00 AM
Bronze Member

IOR Valdada makes a scope ring with 6 screws for the cap and two bolts for the base, steel or aluminum. You can even get it with a picatinny dovetail on top of the ring for use with accessories and are 1.5" long... $175 to $195, so I don't know if this puts them in the same ballpark as the Max-50's or Volquartsen stuff..
http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/05?tok...4WHf8KmokFNSQg
Old 05-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Ian, why don't you copy and paste that last thread and send it too Leupold? Then tell us your reply. That might be interesting. When I put a scope/base on, it stays. If I am to replace the scope I replace the basses and rings, but never take them apart. Metal on metal? When you clamp your rings on basses, isn't that a metal/metal contact? I don't think the dovetails are ment to be "QD" style. If you are going to mount a scope permanantly on a rifle, then the DD's are great. If you will remember on a lot of the earlier tactical matches the DD's where used extensivly. These new fangled three pound rings are great, if you ain't carrying that rifle very far. I have friends that are putting Max 50's on there rifles because they are the latest fad, and are way coool, (spelled with 3 O's on purpose), but not the ideal thing for a carry weapon. The boys in the field worry about weight, a lot! Have you humped in the field much, or do you just hunt from a tailgate? If you need a contact at Leupold, PM me and I will send you a couple. Bet they would be real interested in what you have to say. I think that maybe they have done just a little more testing on there stuff than you have. And ask anyone that knows me. I don't baby anything. If something can be broke, I'll break it. I have just been lucky that way. Remember that if you ever lend me anything.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Ian completely, I couldn't have said it better, thankfully he did. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] His experience has been mine to the "T". How many times does it take for one to find a bent and/or loose dovetail to figure this one out? The removal of metal when twisting in a dovetail is assured, not so with a Weaver style clamp. It's a piss-poor design... period. The Leopold QRD is not much of an improvement either, why not just get the QRW, MKIV, Badger or NF and not worry and wonder what recoil is doing to them. Again, if you can't handle the extra weight of these little rings, what happens when you down an animal and are looking a looong pack out? Toughen up is what I say. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

<nods> Hell yes, son, weight is just a gravitational coefficient. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] After lugging a 38lb gun around in the woods for many hours, I can honestly say that one of two things happen: you consider leaving the MF behind, or condemn yourself for not bringing a collaspeable hammock. On the other hand, I have since dropped my annual membership at Gold's Gym...so perhaps unwittingly, you fellas` have aided me in economizing..

Ok, on task--most of the rings out there are designed for the pictinny slot system; do any of you boys have any rings to adivse for a straight davidson-style base? I ask because I have such a base, and want a *heavy-duty* ring/s. I know Speedy at SGY has some mighty nice looking rings.. I want BEEFY <which will probably rule out the Kelbleys, regrettfully> I prefer material such as stainless steel, or some other steel variant--not real cranked on aluminum. Thanks fellas {wonder if I could talk S1 into making up a set?--I've read his machining skills are top-notch........} [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

D