Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which rings.??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which rings.??

Agreed, Ian. I have set of the Volquartsen Nova rings ordered. Should see them in the next few days and I'll report in.

I had the opportunity to examine the Leupold PRW rings in person and they are much lighter duty than they appeared in the catalogue. Probably an excellent ring, but not a true tactical contender.

I'd have to say the best buy out there in a tactical ring is probably still the Mark IVs. If one shops carefully, they can be had for a spot over $100.

So many toys available and.... so little money [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2003, 07:14 AM

Do you know How much the Nightforce rings are?
Old 04-27-2003, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

..'Last I saw they were $125 over at Sinclair's.. Prices vary a good bit from place to place.. JiNC
Old 04-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Hello Jake

Haven't talk to you on the phone for a while. hope all is well down south and that the bigeyes are doing a good job for you.

The KDF on that 300 Tomahawk (if that's what your putting the NF on) will retard most of the heavy recoil however, if you go with a Nightforce scope, the Ferrel base and Badger rings are extremely heavy duty and will work well for you. Check out the stronger screws as WYO mentioned.
The Badgers are, as you say, "butt ugly" too but, do the job well. I have 2 or 3 sets of them.

The Ken Ferrel rings look good but, I don't own any and can't give advice concerning them.

Take care and good luck to you.

Another thought.
The "dirt on Buddies" as you mentioned, should be saved for rainey days, "if needed." [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]--- Not needed now, the weather is fine. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

To bad your not here. Having Pennsylvania wild turkey for supper tonight you old "Rebel."

Later
DC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (Old Yankee)
Old 04-27-2003, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

Hey DC.. All will be much better if it'll quit raining every weekend..!!
.. The big-eyes are doing fine but I think the 30's are still history.. The only thing I've seen that they helped on was the moon. And I don't think even the Tommy is gonna threaten that much.!! (Inject your fav "shooting the moon" joke here..)
..Yessir, the rings are for the NF going on CJ's ex-Tommy with the Ferrel and the KDF.. I just wanted to try best I could to get the correct rings from the git-go.. I really like the Burris Zee's I have on another rifle.. Are they completely out of the question.? If so I may just gofer the NF's at Sinclair's or a set of Ken's.. The Badger's seem extra sweet but I think they have a slight case of Harley Davidsonitis..(An unresistable urge to squeeze every last penny from a piece of metal..) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
.. Pennsylvania Wild Turkey,huh.? I'm sure the ever-so-slight taint of a blue-belly bird could be over-looked easily if I were dining at that same table.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] JiNC
Old 04-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Jake

You missed one of the "BEST" wild turkeys I have ever tasted and I have eaten a bunch of them. The wife did an outstanding job on this bird.

To bad you missed it even though it was a suculent "blue belly" to start with.
I was going to tell you, if you come up for dinner, "DON'T" go through Gettysburg. I hate to see a grown southern Rebel cry. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, sorry the 30X are not to your liking. You do have another power that will be real good for those glasses.

As for Burris Zee rings, I have used them with Nightforce scopes without any problems.
I did have a set of the 30MM Burris rings that didn't have the inserts in them. They were all metal and worked real good with a Weaver style base.

You will be surprised at the low felt recoil of that Tommy with the KDF muzzle brake.

Well I better get off here and let my stomach relax after all that fresh wild turkey I had tonight.

Take care and I'll look around here for another set of those 30MM Burris rings if you like them. I'm not sure I have them any longer though because I got rid of the Nightforce scope and let them go with it.

Later
DC
Old 04-28-2003, 07:36 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Jake I think I have a set of the Burris 30 MM high rings.. all metal....

e-mail me...