Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which rings.??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2003, 06:23 AM
Silver Member

Which rings.??

. Hey fellas.. What kindof rings would work best for mounting this here NightForce on the Winny with the Farrell 20min base.? Prices seem to vary a good bit.. Which ones do the job w/o "doing" my wallet.? I'm not looking for cheap just a good value..
Burris Zee's.? NightForce.? Warne.?
Any idea what height would be functional/appropriate.?? Thankks.. JiNC

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]
Old 04-16-2003, 06:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: Which rings.??

Jake, Ian would be a good person to get ahold of on this subject, I know he uses Nears and HS Precision, but your best value would be the Burris you talked about. Catalog says there are no moving parts and are the best fitting and most positive gripping Weaver-style rings made. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jay
Old 04-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Saw mention of my name and scope rings - here goes... Not sure which Nightforce you are using, if it has a 56 mm objective you will need fairly high rings. Plus Nightforce scopes are relatively heavy so you will need strong rings to hold them properly.

I believe that scope mounting systems are potentially the weak-link. Most shooters want to get their scope on the rifle with minimal cost and that is about it. Minimal cost may not mean adequate stength, for holding the scope in place without slippage and for resisting accidental drops and abuse. Abuse that bothers me in particularly are forces from the side which would tend to bend the scope over. This happens on hunts and even from a slip onto the cement floor in the basement or whatever.

Another consideration is how well the scope fits into the rings. This is determined by the quality of machining that went into making the rings and also factors like how true the centerline of the rings is to the centerline of the bore. That is why some guys lap their scope rings, to make sure that the scope is not being bent or torqued because the rings are not in a straight line. Things like how true the factory drilled the mounting holes in the receiver of the rifle come into play, and we can't do diddly about that without spending a lot of money having the holes redrilled.

Burris makes neat rings that enable some adjustment of the scope to true it to the centerline or to add some needed elevation by using plastic inserts that are in graduated degrees of thickness - plus the plastic shims prevent scratching the scope tube by poor fitting ring edges. Personally I do not feel that these rings are as strong as I want on most of my rifles. Compared to some other designs they are just not as robust - check out the size of the clamp on each side of the ring for instance. They work but they are not nearly as tough as Warnes or any of the tactical rings such as Badgers - not even close. Unless you have used Badgers/Mk4's you might not appreciate this difference.

If you wish to save some money, check out Warne Maximas - either with or without the detaching arms. Since you already spent the big bucks on a Nightforce I would want the best and would go with Badgers, Mk4's, Farrells, Nightforce, H-S or similar. Badgers come in several sizes, no sweat to get one that will fit your scope perfectly. I believe that www.badgerordnance.com will give info on optimum ring heights for your scope.
Good luck, hopefully you only buy rings once.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

.. Hey guys.. Thanks for the input.! As I said in my original post value is of prime importance.. There always seems to be a point of diminishing returns for your investment in anything.. The Warne's have been suggested but after checking them out it is my opinion that they are just too butt ugly.. I'll check into some of the other suggested rings.. Thanks a bunch..!! Further suggestions appreciated..! JiNC
Old 04-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Have you looked at the Talleys???
Iam getting some put on my Sendero this weekend....sakofan..
Old 04-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Talleys are a beautifully machined mount but they require a proprietory base, one that only their rings will fit on. Far as I know they do not make a set of rings that will fit onto a Weaver style base as the Warne Maximas does. Heard that they made some for Weatherby or someone but never saw any yet. They also do not come with a slope as far as I know, and sloped bases are very good for LR.

Talleys and Warnes are very similar in design and function, both do a nice job and offer detachability with good return to zero. Most incredible machining I have ever seen was on a set of Talley rings - you simply cannot see or feel the join where the two halves fit together.

Warnes and Talleys are fine mounts but I believe that the tacticals are another level of simplicity and toughness.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:38 PM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]