Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ring slippage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ring slippage

Mine is doing it too on .300 RUM. Switching to Nightforce 1 piece mount and see if that will work, don't torque over 25 inlb though. 40 is toooo much....
Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadge View Post
Gday Fellas,

I noticed my scope had slipped AFT (thats right AFT not FWD) by about 1/4inch.

Tadge
You must have a brake on the rifle? I've never had a scope slide back toward the shooter on any non-braked rifle. Mine always creep forward in the rings, when they have crept.

I've not had a scope creep on a braked rifle yet, so I don't know if backward creep is an issue with muzzle brakes or not.

The heavier the scope is, the more likely a scope creep problem. If the bottom half of the rings have been lapped to a good fit with the scope tube then you may need to add a third ring. Lapping that third ring could be interesting unless it lies in the same plane as the existing two. I've heard of both rosin and lock-tite being used to prevent slippage in the past. I've used a small dab of lock-tite before but never rosin.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

Yup, mine is sliding, about 100th so far. Accuracy hasnt been affected as of yet, so i am not doing anything till after hunting season. But it is sliding forward per recoil of the rifle......
Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

I've had one slide aft on a rifle, without a brake; twice! It was a spring air rifle....

I was hesitant to say anything about the locktite, but I've used it as well. The downside is that it's a pain to remove off of the scope if you ever have to re-mount the scope and the rings aren't in the exact same place. It cured my problem tho. I used the blue locktite, and let it set up for 48 hrs. before shooting the gun.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

I had my scope move forward . I lightly painted the inside of the rings with clear fingernail polish . it seems to work fine . I'm guessing that polish remover will take it off if I remove the scope . Jim
Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Red loctite will put an end to that problem. To remove it, spray carburator cleaner on a rag and the loctite will wipe off and doesn't remove the finish from the scope. I had this problem with Burris extremes on a 300 ultra.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
put this on these are from NEAR MFG in Alberta Canada
the rifle is a 450 Marlin and the recoil is around 45 pounds and no slippage
screws are at 17 inche pounds only.....
they are made of titanium alloy
stronger than steel and much lighter