Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ring marks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Ring marks

What is the best way to Prevent ring marks when mounting a new scope?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ring marks

Stay away from cheap rings.

Also lapping them in with a lapping bar first will help, but some rings that may take a while.

Jeff
Old 10-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

A quality rail bedded on the receiver by a smith that knows what he is doing and like Broz says a quality set of rings. With everything right lapping is usually is not necessary.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Keep your rings clean. Remove any burrs on the edges. I recommend lapping the rings unless you know the base and rings are well made (fully machined rings, not extruded) and the base is properly installed. Then tighten the ring screws to the proper torque value.

HighPowerOptics provides in our installation kits a very thin, yet incredibly strong RingTrue Tape that is applied to the rings after lapping. I developed the tape for mounting scopes on .338 magnum and 50 BMG rifles. I change scopes on ballistic test rifles frequently and wanted to prevent scope slipping and the associated ring marks. It works extremely well. RingTrue Tape is only 0.0025" thick and is resistant to heat, moisture and ultraviolet light.

While I don't always use it, I've found that in most cases it helps - and never hurts. It protects the rings from corrosion after lapping. I've found that some scope and ring anodize coatings are slippery. RingTrue Tape improves grip and prevents the scope from slipping. It prevents ring marks of any kind. I also use it on some tactical rings instead of lapping them.

If you want a free sample, go to the HighPowerOptics Contact Page, and leave a note asking for a free sample of RingTrue Tape. We'll send you enough tape to install a scope. This free sample offer expires after November 30, 2013.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I got the lapping kit coming.