Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

ring lapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: ring lapping

I’m sure some will disagree, but I say absolutely lap all rings even badgers, except for those rubber inserted Burris rings. Badgers are the only rings my rifles wear, because they are the best. I have lapped every set I’ve owned. Most of them don’t take anytime at all to lap and clean up. GA percision builds a great set of rings and mounts. They are built to very tight tolerances, but that cannot make up for even a perfect scope bases mated to a not so perfect receiver. I had one pair that really needed lapping. Those rings are also notorious for leaving ring marks on scopes. If you lap them, they don’t mar the finish of the scope at all.

[ 09-06-2003: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 09-06-2003, 06:52 AM
Gold Member

Brent,
Marty's ring don't come with anything that says it voids the warranty, but I here the "lecture" about it everytime somebody says they are lapping the rings. A few little marks aren't going to hurt anything, a scope loses a lot of it's value the second it is mounted, marks or no marks.
If a guy goes crazy with a lapping bar the rocking motion will grind the edges of the rings down creating a high spot in the middle. This will dig in and bust scopes. The ideal is to have as much contact across the ring to distribute the pressure evenly.
I've seen Marty replace (for free) rings/parts when a guy was honest and admittted he screwed up and broke something (example 65 foot pounds instead of the proper 65 in pounds for the nut) but if you screw around and lie to him that's your tough luck cause you're a dumbass. I'm sure lapping would go the same way.
As far as bedding bases goes we-me, George, Eric and Marty have never done it that I know of. Do it if it makes you feel better, lap the rings if it makes you feel better.
The bottom line is we have mounted hundreds, maybe a thousand or more rings and bases and almost(I won't say never) never have any problems.
Too many people are looking for magic combinations, snake charms or plain ol excuses as why they shot so crappy. Mount the damn things at the proper torque( given by Marty with the rings) and GO SHOOT!!!!!!!
If your shooting sucks, quit looking for excuses, suck it up be a man and admit you suck and then get better by SHOOTING MORE!!!
Lapping rings, bedding bases, turning necks, measuring runout will not make you a better shooter ONLY TRIGGER TIME WILL.
This isn't aimed at anybody in particular, just comes from dealing with the general population on the phone day in and day out.
Too many gray areas in shooting and gunsmithing- no wrongs or rights, just different ways of doing things. But like I said trigger time is the best and final answer.
Old 09-06-2003, 02:31 PM

Chris-- I knew you weren't looking for a ******* contest, nor was I... Just different strokes for different folks..
I can't imagine ever returning a set of Badgers anyway... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Chris M.,
Most facts, reasons and experiences seem to be clear at this point, thanks for sharing your take on it too.

I'll agree that more practice is always benificial one way or another but, lapping and bedding isn't usually done to feel better, nor is facing a reciever, bolt, rucutting the threads or bedding the rifle. These are things that eliminate or reduce potential problems and help you focus on your shooting, and not wonder about the unit you're squeezing the trigger on.

Most guys here want a totally solid system and aren't looking for a cheap rifle so they can have cheap excuses because they can't shoot a decent group consistantly, quite the opposite, as I'm sure you know. I don't doubt you hear from complainers all the time because they just simply can't shoot, when you know they have a superb rifle that you've just built them yourself, and don't blame you for wishin some would get a clue, but I do believe you're comments on practice directed to this crowd may be not entirely, but somewhat, preaching to the quire so to speak. Hope ya don't take that the wrong way. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Glad to hear your take on all this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Brent,
I agree with what your are saying. What I meant by making you feel better basically is if you feel you need to do it then do it. I do pretty much everything else you said except lapping and bedding the bases. My rifles shoot 1/2 MOA, most shoot 1/4 without lapping or bedding so I don't do it.
As far as preaching to the choir, I'm glad we are all on the same side. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]