Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

ring lapping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

ring lapping

Has anyone had any experience with Badger Ordnance rings needing lapping?

I have the new S&B PM II scope and would hate to ruin it. Not that it should but I'd rather be safe.

Cheers

"'Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,'
The shade replied, -
'If you seek for Eldorado!'"...Poe
Old 09-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: ring lapping

Mongoose,
I'm sure a few "peoples" will disagree with what I am going to say but......
Don't ever lap Badger's. If you use a quality one piece base (Badger, for example) they don't need it. If you use crappy two piece bases and your rings appear out of line, it's the holes in the action or the bases, not the rings.
Badger rings are machined as a pair.
As a matter of fact, lapping them voids any warranty they have.
How do I know- I've said it once but I'll say it again. I am a smith for GA Precision and Badger Ordnance is in the same building. I stand 10' away from Marty Bordson all day.
I have assembled 1000's of his rings and mounted hundred's of Leupold's, NightForce, Unertl's, US Optics and S&B's with Marty's rings and bases.
Bottom line is mount 'em up and go shooting!
Chris
Old 09-05-2003, 08:47 PM

MONGOOSE--
LAP the rings. I have Badgers and NF rings on every rifle I have and have yet to find a set of any rings that didn't align better with lapping, regardless of the base used(yes I have Badger and NF bases, too). No way in hell I'd drop a $1500 scope in any set up without lapping them in.
I spoke with Marty the other day (bought about $2000 worth of rings for the dept) and mentioned that I'd be lapping them and he didn't say anything about the warranty.
If you dont lap, you probably won't have adverse effect on your scope, but you WILL have ringmarks. If that doesn't bother you, you could probably get away with using them right from the box...

[ 09-05-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]
Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Here's the deal. Badger's are machined to very tight tolerances, will they leave marks, yes possibly.
Lapping bars, like those from Brownells, are made from cold rolled steel (1" and 30mm stock) check those tolerances- from .950 to 1.050 approx. The damn things aren't even perfectly round.
The human arm is made of hinges- they swing in an arc, not a straight line. When you use a lapping bar you get a slight rocking motion in your movement.
THESE are straight from Marty's mouth.
Chris- He might not have said anything to you directly about it because everybody can choose what they want, but I guarantee you won't return a set of rings that have been lapped.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Chris
Please don't take my last post the wrong way, it's not an attack or ******* contest.
Like I said I spend 10 hours a day 6-7 days a week with Marty, he is a close personal friend and I am repeating what I hear from him. He actually takes all this stuff very personal, the man has a lot of pride in his products.
Like I said everybody is free to do what they feel is best, but what I/Marty said are some facts easily verified. Food for thought...
Old 09-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

Ah...to lap or not to lap.

Marks make no diff as I don't plan on removing the scope.
My big concern is damaging the tube. The directions ( yes I actually read them) state torque to 1.2lbs.
I would hope that S&B built a tube to take that much (LOL), but I did spend a very pretty penny and would rather error on caution.

"'Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,'
The shade replied, -
'If you seek for Eldorado!'"...Poe
Old 09-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Chris M.

Bedding a scope base is a current topic of discussion here too, so just wondering what both you and Marty recomend to do about the base part of the equasion, considering most commercial recievers are out of whack to begin with?

Chris J. does make a good point about lapping curing some imperfect alignment issues that can potentially damage the scope. Is there something that comes with the B.O. rings that states the warranty will be void if they are lapped and explains the reasoning to the buyer, and also does it make any referance to, or suggestion as to bedding the base?

I'm asking because Nightforce explicitly states if the rings are not lapped, the warranty on their scopes is void. Now I know NF and Badger are in direct competition with each other as far as rings and bases go but, here's the deal; What warranty is worth more, $150.00 or possibly a $1500.00 one, and which one is more likely to get the short end of the stick if something isn't aligned properly?

The lapping bars of Brownells being that far off is kind of a surprize, and something to look into. I do know the one at my dads isn't that much larger or smaller, or it would never have fit down in the rings, or made contact with the sides of them if that small, though I must admit to never even batting an eye at it and measuring the thing, tho I will.
One would think they were turned down to the correct diameter before being sold, especially considering why they are sold to begin with.

Who has lapping bars that they can measure up and report back on?