Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ring Height Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM

Ring Height Question

I recently purchased picatinny bases for my rifles and I was wondering what height rings to purchase. I have two scopes and will rotate them between three rifles. I plan on purchasing the burris extreme rings, my scopes are as follows: Meopta 3-12x56 and Leupold 8.5-25x50. My rifles are as follows 2 Remington 700 Senderos and another Remington 700. My question is i want the scope to sit as low as possible, but be able to move between the rifles. The guy from SWFA said that I would need a high and a xhigh set to accomplish this. Is there anyone here who can back this up as i do not want to order and then send it back. Also where do you think is the best place/price to purchase these rings.
Thanks in Advance for any help,
JC
Old 02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Do a sea ...

Do a search for "Leupold Mount Selection". It will take you to their base/rings charts for your rifles.

Best of luck,

Jim
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Do a search for "Leupold Mount Selection". It will take you to their base/rings charts for your rifles.

Best of luck,

Jim
Thanks for the quick reply, I have done that however I was unsure about it because remington does not have a 56mm in anything other than a VX-L. And also on there rifles they only have a standard 700 not a sendero where the barrel is thicker.
Thanks,
JC
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

This link is for Badger Ord. Rings but it may give you some reference. If you can measure the distance from the Brl. to the Center of the scope. 56mm/2 = 28mm = 1.102359-inches. You will also need to know the height of the rail above the top of the brl.

Badger Ordnance | Premium Firearms Accessories
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
daveosok

I've got a set of the Burris on my Win 70. It depends on the contour of your barrel. Mine is somewhat very heavy varmint but the scope bell clears the barrel by about 1/8th of an inch but it has a Ken Farrel scope base which sits up higher. The scope is a NXS with a 56 mm bell.

With the Sendero contour I'd say a set of Ken Farrel bases and Burris low rings would work with clearance. Medium rings would clear it for sure.

I'd look at the quick switch rings or whatever they are called from Leupold if youre going to be swapping the scope back and forth. The Burris arent really designed for that but could be used in that capacity youd just need to carry the correct wrench with ya all the time.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

A question or 2 Why do you "want the scope as low as possible"? Does the rifle/scope combination fit you best with the scope very low? Unless you have a very short or no neck is low the best position for proper fit?
I ask only because it always amazes me how so many guys have been brainwashed into believeing that the scope must be low, rather than having your eye in the center of the ocular while in a comfortable, and more importantly, repeatable position. If you have to hunt around to find the sweetspot in your scope, you have the wrong scope height.
My suggestion is to find a decent gunshop and have them fit the scope and rings to YOU, not the other way around.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long ranger View Post
A question or 2 Why do you "want the scope as low as possible"? Does the rifle/scope combination fit you best with the scope very low? Unless you have a very short or no neck is low the best position for proper fit?
I ask only because it always amazes me how so many guys have been brainwashed into believeing that the scope must be low, rather than having your eye in the center of the ocular while in a comfortable, and more importantly, repeatable position. If you have to hunt around to find the sweetspot in your scope, you have the wrong scope height.
My suggestion is to find a decent gunshop and have them fit the scope and rings to YOU, not the other way around.
You are flat spot on with your comment. I watch many people contort their neck because of incorrect scope height and incorrect bipod height. Both of which seem to be a big handicap when making the prone shot in the field.