Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ring Height?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Ring Height?

One more question about a 20 moa rail..... i read an article that someone posted in another forum that said if your mounting holes were drilled out of alignment with the barrel, it will warp or lack of better words, twist the receiver? i don't think my receiver is drilled out of alignment due to the fact that i am pretty close to mechanical zero in windage, but if so will the rail actually twist my action? If so, what kind of problems will that actually cause for me?

Again, thanks for the input.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

The Burris Signature rings will do exactly what you ask for, just like you asked in your first post. You can change the inserts as you need adding +/- 20 in the front as well as the back. I use them on most of my rifles and really like them. Doing this you won't have to use any rail at all - just the same bases you have - and you can adjust as needed.

The bottom of this page shows the ring height:
Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics
Compare it to what youhave now to determine if you need a medium or high. I suspect high, but if you use a -20 in the front ring and + 10 or +20 in the back you'll appreciate it.

Using these rings I can adjust the tilt of my scope as I see fit and I'm not locked in to the angle machined into the base. Some rifles take only a total of 10, others up to 40.
If you buy the Signature rings also buy the kit with the 5/10/20 inserts as you'll need that too.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
The Burris Signature rings will do exactly what you ask for, just like you asked in your first post. You can change the inserts as you need adding +/- 20 in the front as well as the back. I use them on most of my rifles and really like them. Doing this you won't have to use any rail at all - just the same bases you have - and you can adjust as needed.

The bottom of this page shows the ring height:
Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics
Compare it to what youhave now to determine if you need a medium or high. I suspect high, but if you use a -20 in the front ring and + 10 or +20 in the back you'll appreciate it.

Using these rings I can adjust the tilt of my scope as I see fit and I'm not locked in to the angle machined into the base. Some rifles take only a total of 10, others up to 40.
If you buy the Signature rings also buy the kit with the 5/10/20 inserts as you'll need that too.
Dr.Vette
i thought the burris sig rings would do the same for me as the angles rail would but don't have experience with either. like everyone else, i would like my objective as close to the barrel as possible. The current rings i have now measure .400" thick and leave about .200" gap between the barrel and the objective, which height do you think i need the high?
IMOP i think the burris website is not very clear on the measurement specs....
Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Bottom of the page lists the specs for the Burris rings. I'm not sure what appears confusing to you so if you could let us know that would help.

Where are you measuring your .400 inch thick for the rings? I suspect you may be including the portion that goes into the base, i.e. the dovetail? The standard measurement of height does not include the dovetail portion. See C in the picture below of the far left "Universal Dovetail" drawing.

As noted previously, the inserts in the Signature rings allow you more flexibility in adjusting the scope as you're not "locked into" a 20 MOA angle as you would be with a 20 MOA base. To use a 20 MOA base you will need not only the base but also different rings as I assume (big word) that you're using a dovetail front base and a windage screw rear base. If that is not correct then please let us know.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member

I currently have burris extreme tactical two piece bases, they are weaver style. and for the rings i have, i measured with my calipers, as what is labeled "C" in the picture. So i guess the .065 is added to the length "C". I'm try to calculate which height i need.
Will the angle produced by the inserts be enough to make a measurable difference between the barrel and the objective??
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

You will need these rings then:

Burris Zee Signature 1 inch Rifle Scope Mount Rings for Weaver Style bases FREE S&H 420521, 420522, 420532, 420530, 420531, 420520. Burris Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

Depends on what you mean by "measurable difference." Technically anything is measurable. However, would I change ring heights based on the inserts? No.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post

Depends on what you mean by "measurable difference." Technically anything is measurable. However, would I change ring heights based on the inserts? No.
Thanks. As you stated a few posts ago, these are what i wanted for the resolution.

The only reason i included the "measurable difference" is because the rings i currently have set my scope a little higher than i would like. therefore i am either going to be cutting it close with the mediums as they may not even work or with the highs, they will be higher than what i have now. to bad they don't make a medium high!