Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

RF beam width??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

RF beam width??

I have a Zeiss Victory PRF, it is a GREAT rangefinder and the glass is super clear. It ranges well over it's advertised max.

But I feel like the beam is really wide, I have issues with things OTHER than my intended target impeding the view and getting ranged instead, brush primarily.

I searched "rangefinder beam width" and only got three results, any thoughts (or previous threads) on this subject?

Or am I just being unrealistic and at those ranges (1K yds +) ANY rangefinder is going to widen up significantly?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RF beam width??

Try searching "beam divergence", both here and on the "whole" Internet.

Here is a link to a previous thread that hits on the topic. That thread has a bunch of links in it you may find useful.

Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

Good luck!

Brandon
Old 12-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

thanks, some good resources in that thread. I knew before I asked this question that I was going to start looking hard at the G7 also.

One other fault I have with the Zeiss is the lack of angle compensation. Many of the others have it.

The glass is SO good though, I use it as my "mini binos" before breaking out the 15's.

I want something that will go tight and give me a true range adjusted for angle, I am shooting a MKV .30-378 with a Conquest and Kenton turret, but often in the oak brush and at extreme angles.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Take a long look at the Leica CRF 1600.

I have a CRF 1200 and the glass is very good. Beam divergence is low, and it actually ranges what it claims.

From what I read, the 1600 is a step up - ranges farther, and also computes angle and barometric pressure. The reviews say that the ballistic curves aren't the best, but the raw data is spot on.