Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reticule vs Reticle IOR scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 PM

Reticule vs Reticle IOR scopes?

So, I've never of heard of IOR Valdada Scopes. I recently stumbled upon one when looking for FFP scopes. I posted the listing on facebook asking if anyone knows anything about them; one of my buddies said, "they misspelled reticle, pass.." i looked up both meanings and indeed they are wrong! Do you think they know they are misspelling and misusing the word "reticule"?

1.) Are they crappy scopes? seriously...
2.) how does it compare to a Leupold Mark 4 m5. ffp?
(i currently own that, but would like the fat/oval, rounded elevation turret that IOR offers..)
3.)what is up with this scope/company? I've looked them up, but..they seem..well, i dont know, i need opinions..

thanks guys ;)
Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Reticule vs Reticle IOR scopes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
So, I've never of heard of IOR Valdada Scopes. I recently stumbled
upon one when looking for FFP scopes. I posted the listing on facebook asking if anyone knows anything about them; one of my buddies said, "they misspelled reticle, pass.." i looked up both meanings and indeed they are wrong! Do you think they know they are misspelling and misusing the word "reticule"?

1.) Are they crappy scopes? seriously...
2.) how does it compare to a Leupold Mark 4 m5. ffp?
(i currently own that, but would like the fat/oval, rounded elevation turret that IOR offers..)
3.)what is up with this scope/company? I've looked them up, but..they seem..well, i dont know, i need opinions..

thanks guys ;)
Both spellings are correct. You should pass on your buddie.

Try actually doing some research. Start with the FAQ on the Valdada web site.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbrass View Post
Both spellings are correct. You should pass on your buddie.

Try actually doing some research. Start with the FAQ on the Valdada web site.
+1! Reticule is a variant spelling of reticle.

The word reticle comes from the Latin "reticulum" meaning "net", having said that, reticule is closer to where the word is derived.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 AM

they both are not correct..and "i did research it" not extensively, just common dictionary.

Reticule is a noun, meaning..small net, or mesh bag..example..a womans draw string bag used as a carryall.

Reticle is also a noun. used to describe a scale on transparent material (as in an optical instrument) used for measuring or aiming.

So... anyway, the following questions?

1.) is the glass quality good?
2.) how does it compare to a leupold mark 4m5 ert
3.) ive never heard of these guy, give me ur opinion, what do u think of them?

thanks.

also note: that any web site selling anything will do its best to give the best representation of itself.. so im not to focust on getting all my info based off the site. thats why im posting on here for individual comments. most optic companies never mention light transmission and quality. You kinda just need to look through on or get reviews from other ppl.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM

I get also that the word "reticule" come from Reticle as u explained... but if clearly, reticle is in fact, with the first definition a measuring tool for optics or aiming purposes, why on this green earth would a company choose "reticule" when it has a secondary definition with the meaning manly used to discribe a womans purse? If this was the sharks tank..."I'm out"
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
I get also that the word "reticule" come from Reticle as u explained... but if clearly, reticle is in fact, with the first definition a measuring tool for optics or aiming purposes, why on this green earth would a company choose "reticule" when it has a secondary definition with the meaning manly used to discribe a womans purse? If this was the sharks tank..."I'm out"
Different spelling, same definition. Reticule is what is used in most of the world. Most words have more than one meaning or definition, first grade spelling.

Reticule - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Read definition number 1.

Go to the Valdada(the importer) web site and read about the history and the company, IOR. If you have learned enough to be interested, then go look through the scope. Otherwise its just another high priced top tier piece of work.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Bronze Member

personally i'd go with the leupold or get into a nightforce. but to address the questions

1. the glass is ok, on par with leupold

2. what two scopes are you looking at? they make a ton of scopes, all with different tubes, mad ranges

3. Scott at liberty optics is the ior guy, as the the company itself, not so sure on them, Google and see what other people have experienced and go from there. I've had such mixed reviews on them, and some people i deal with have had issues, so i steer clear

what are you/yourfriend doing with said scope? what type of shooting, short and long range, etc?