Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reticles & Macular Degeneration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Reticles & Macular Degeneration

I'm finally getting things sorted out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I'm a little slow but happy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Right eye sees crooked, i.e., cross hairs look like snakes. Shooting tests have shown that variable power doesn't work and using hold over on Mil Dots or MOA hash marks doesn't work well either.

I switched to shooting lefty but found out that POI does not change on a fixed power scope using the center (+) where the cross hairs cross when using either eye.

Since I've switched to clicking I have also switched back to right handed shooting. (Much more comfortable).

The problem now is that the cross hairs are disconcerting in their wigglieness and I'd like to switch to a dot reticle.

I've searched a bunch but have found no scopes especially tactical types w/good turrets and clicks that have the dot reticle.

Are there substitute scopes that would work for LRH w/say a 0.2 Mil or half MOA dot? Would have to be fixed power somewhere around 16X or so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Gold Member

Re: Reticles & Macular Degeneration

I think the Leupold 16x MK4-M1 scope can be fitted with a dot reticle.

It is a pricy scope, but one of their best. It has 140 moa of elevation for the long shots.

LRH member #23
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

Ior makes some tactical fixed power with the mp8 reticle that has a dot in the middle...--

Schmidt Bender has some reticles with the dot, but usually for hunting and may be a bit thick,.but I would take a look at them.-
Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 PM
SPONSOR

Maybe the NP2DD in a NF might be the ticket.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Have you tried Zen? After decades of switching dominate eye from right to left at will, I can pretty much make my eyes do anything except get younger. I shoot all firearms with my right eye but my bow with my left eye. It is a very mental thing with me and I can switch which eye I am seeing things with very easily. What you might do is try some exercises such as holding a pencil out at arms lenght while wathcing TV and use it as a sighting point and try to only "see" the area right around the tip and not the stuff out to the sides.

Now that I have dispensed the 60's Haight-Ashbury advice here is something you might think about.

I-hole

Working off of the same principles as the iron sight aperture, if a person got some of those geeky flip up and down sunglasses and took off the left lens and then drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the right one at exactly the correct place it would give you "tunnel vision". You can run a trail test with just a piece of paper with a hole in it to see if it is worth the effort of makeing the glasses.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Roy , you might consider looking for some of the older used Leupold 16X Scopes . They were available with small center Dots . They are my favorite under 500 Yard Pdog Scopes and are optically as good as most anything I have seen today . They generally go for around $300-$400 depending on Condition . They were stretched out 12X's and sometimes I find one that will not "focus" the Reticle sharp , but Leupold fixes the Problem fast and free . Concerning your Macular Degeneration , there are very few Medical Experts who can do much about it . There are some Laser Procedures which help . However a fairly good percentage of people can arrest the degeneration by taking Lutein , Zinc , Selenium, and Copper ( I think the number is roughly 35% ) . Paul Harvey (on the radio ) sells one Supplement , and WalMart carries Equate Vision Formula which is what I take & it's cheap too . Good Shooting ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
by taking Lutein , Zinc , Selenium, and Copper ( I think the number is roughly 35% )

[/ QUOTE ]

Been taking that stuff for 2 years in compressed loads.

Thanks.....