Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reticles on frontr rear focal plane, why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Silver Member
Re: Reticles on frontr rear focal plane, why?

BTW, I just got a new Horus Falcon and put it on my M40A3. Seems to be a very competent scope, and Front Focal Plane with Side Focus and lit reticle. Not to mention the Horus H-25, and only $1299! (Just about half of what comparable scope manufacturers are charging for the same thing.)

More on Scope.

[ 04-14-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]
People slept peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stood ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell
We honor and support those men and women who stand ready to do violence on behalf of the United States.

Unread 04-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Re: Reticles on frontr rear focal plane, why?

If you make precision decisions, you want what works the absolute best for you, dont you? I want to use a scope that delivers reliability. 18 months from now, I still want it to work, to retain the same click values as well as the reticle remaining in calibration. If you purchase a cheaply manufactured scope, it probably will not. One usually sees Night Force, Hensholdt, Schmidt Bender and Leupold M4s mounted on military weapon systems for a reason and its not because they are expensive, it is because they are durable, repeatable, have very good glass and a long legged life span.

FFP, SFP, I shoot both. But what works for me is a reticle that allows me to see the target both daytime and in low light conditions without misinterpretation.

In a battlefield environment a Sniper will be an Observer First and his scope better be able to fill that role. Secondly, if the Sniper has to take a shot, it will most probably be only one maybe two and then he is out of there. More than two is a rarity and a liability; a real rarity unless you happened to have been in Afghanistan and you had competition spraying rounds from their AKs while standing upright. Leave the bolt guns at home and bring gas guns, was one quote I heard from men coming off of their first rotation.

So it is personal preference and what works for you that matters. MikeCR, Im with you man