Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reticle choice )or not)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 01:06 PM

Reticle choice )or not)

I have what is a great deal on a Nikon 5.5 - 16-5 UCC Monarch. I want to use it on my new 22-250 Varmit rig. Question

It's the Nikoplex reticle...Will I be at a disadvantage with this reticle? Is ball plex or varmit reticle or mill dot the must have in this situation?

Thanks

joe
Old 07-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Reticle choice )or not)

If the scope has target turrets, you can click up and down for the different ranges. The only downside is the reticle might be a little thick for a dog at extended ranges. A fine crosshair or target dot is what I prefer for 600-1000yard varminting.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

The Nikoplex reticle will be OK for out to 300-400 yards or so. The reticle is a basic duplex reticle, much like the Zeiss Conquest Z Plex.

There are no target knobs on this scope. But, adjustments are easily acquired with the finger turrets, and the adjustments are very accurate.

I think you will be fine, especially with a 22-250 rig. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] That is a great scope, and I have no doubt that you will love it...sakofan..
Old 07-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

The center crosshair on the UCC Monarch 3.5-10 illuminated Nikoplex is very fine (maybe 1/4 min or less)you can see most of a 1 moa diamond @ 100yds. On red light it appears to me to get fatter, but on green is still very crisp. It is on a home built 7mm-08 that I use where backstop is limited, so I haven't cranked the knobs (covered) up and down to check repeatability. Otherwise I believe it would be very good out to 600 yds, even at only 10x. It's a good light gatherer, with adequate eye relief. I use it un-lit in decent light, and am very satisified. I'm guessing the reticle is the same as the unlit scope. I think you'll like yours, especially with the higher power.

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 07-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Pickt up a 5.5x16.5 Monarch with intentions of putting it on the 7mag but it didnt have enough eye relief.It was then put on a couple different prairie dog guns but at the time I was a big fan of the Leupold dot and hated the x hair design.Had it sold a couple of times but it was returned for ring marks.Needed a scope for the Hbar AR upper and it was the only extra scope I had laying around.It has proven to be a great scope!@ 5.5x you can damn near see in the dark with it and @ 16.5x it works good for prairie dogs once I figured out the center of the reticle is 4MOA,2 up and 2 down.Makes shooting prairie dogs easy money to 325 yards.
I still prefer the MP8 or R2 for a long range reticle but the Nikoplex works great to 325yards and up close in low light.