Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

RETICLE?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RETICLE?

Hello Charles

That's true, but the lines are still there and in view of the shot or bullet impact.

My only problem with the R2 or ANY reticle that is a ranging type is, I don't have the "full view" of the distant target, which I like to have.

It's hard enough seeing the impact sometimes and the better the view the better chance of seeing it.

Other then that, the R2 is fine for those who want to use it.

Both types of reticles work VERY well.

Later
DC
Old 01-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

I agree. If I were using the spotter methed, I dont think I would like it either.
Just another tool for the box.
Take care. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2003, 12:12 AM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-18-2003, 02:48 AM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

S1

You dial "to" the impact from the point of aim.
That's why we MUST be able to see the impact at all times.

Hence, less junk, as we call it, in the viewfinder is more desireable for "us".

I too have fired many rounds in my life time.
I'm quite sure in your "thousands of rounds" fired, you have missed the bullet impact at 1500 yds or more one time or another unless your eyesight is unbelievably fantastic.
I wish mine was as good.

Deep snow will hide the impact also.
Another reason the LR hunter needs a GOOD spotter with a set of bigeyes behind him. Even in deep snow he can watch the vapor trail of the bullet going in and help the shooter.

In our style, the spotter is the MOST important person on the "team", "NOT" the shooter.

Later
DC
Old 01-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with the scaled reticle on the spotter round (I'd call it a miss on the first round [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] no disrespect Darryl, just some Dave King humor) correction.

With the shooter and/or spotter having the same reticle immediately evaluate and correct with great precision is the norm... If you don't get a second round hit when using a scaled reticle you're in some really bad weather or situation IMHO.

As a side note...

We need another style/method indicator. We have the LRH (Long Range Hunter) and ULRH (Ultra Long Range Hunter) down pretty well but we need (I need and it may be helpful to the newbies) an indicator to shooting preference.

How about FRH (First Round Hit) and SRM (Spotter Round Method).

Let's have a vote... All in favor... 1 vote. Opposed..... no votes... It's approved by majority vote. FRH and SRM is now official! Use them as you see fit. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Darryl... You got your post in before I got done creating this masterpiece. I didn't consider that you are using a bench and can redial the scope from the original point of aim (POA)to the round's point of impact (POI). I have used this method at the range but never (so rarely that I can't remember the last time) in the field.

Have you ever tried using the scope dial as a distance determination device... Measure a know size object by "dialing" from side-to-side to top-to-bottom. From a bench it's possible in theory (I'd guess).

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 01-18-2003, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

..Hey Keith.. I just went thru this very thing, sortof.. It really boils down to this.. Get what looks good to you and learn it.. If it doesn't cut it, figure out what ya need and get it.. I don't know if I'm an FRH or an SRM but I have both reticle styles now and plan to utilize both.. My preferred method now is to click it in but I look forward to learning to use my new NP-R2, also.. Like DC said.. It's just a matter of preference for your particular style of hunting..
.. I mostly hunt groundhogs from a stationary position with a bench style rest or some variance thereof at the ranges you specified.. So I have plenty of time to dial it in, usually.. I'm thinking I may get more use from the NP-R2 for windage corrections than anything else.. We'll see..(In all honesty,it's a well-known fact that I got it 'cause it looks cool. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
.. Just enjoy whatever it is ya end up with.. I really think we all get too "squinched up" over this mess sometimes.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]