Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

repeatability.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

repeatability.

Ok iam thinking i need some new glass. My budget is proubly gona be 1000 $. Iam thinking mabey ziess conquest 6.5 x 20... or vortex viper pst 6x24. Sfp. I guess repeatibilty is far more important to me than glass quality. I hear both are repatible. My brother has a viper pst i told him we need to run it up at a tall target at 100 yards and mark it at every moa. And shoot it adjust it up and back down and male sure it tracks perfectly. He said he didn' t want to waste ammo and he did lots of reasearch before buying it and its repeatable. I really dont know if it is or not. So i wanted to hear from people that own these scopes and have tested them. If you own one and havent tested it mabey you could give it a small test then get back to me i would so appreciate it. Thanks everone.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: repeatability.

Ask your brother if he would rather waist a shot opportunity hunting? If you do allot of practice at different ranges it will become apparent very quick weather or not it tracks repeatably. Weather it is done with ten shots at 100 or 1 shot at 400 and 1 at 650 and 1 at 800 etc etc etc, The individual scope should be tested before you try and count on it. Both the vortex and zeiss SHOULD be good to go. You should also consider the sightron siii in that price range. All these scopes mentioned have great records and high expectations are understandable but take nothing for granite.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Either SHOULD work.If they dont either will be fixed by manufacturer. I an with di.d that it still must be checked at real ranges. Also the sIII would be right in the running and maybe the bushy and weaver tacticals also.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Been kinda a slow night at work. Ive been reading acticles and doing reasearch. Oh my there are so many choices. Ziess. Vortex. Weaver tactial. Falcon menace. Sightron. Iam more confused now than ever. Everything ive read about weaver tactial sounds like it might be the most repeatable out of them all and ffp too. That do you guys think.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

Most repeatable is a misnomer because a good scope can't be anything less than totally repeatable.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

I have a vortex HS LR in 4-16 x 50 that is very repeatable and tracks very well. The glass is not good though and the reticle is very thin.
If you can swing it the Huskemaw has everything I ever wanted in a hunting scope. Tracking, super clear glass, covered turrets, perfect thickness of reticle, not too heavy or long, all the dials move with the perfect amount of tension, not too tight or too loose. I wish I could afford them on all my rifles.
gary
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Truth be told if your spending X=amount of money, that money will likely be "spent" somewhere in the product. This level of scope gets #1=warranty/reputation #2=repeatability #3=Glass OR Features #4=Features OR Glass .......... somewhere after #1 and 2 are the differences that you need to prioritize. All the bells and whistles at the same price point usually result in a comprise in glass but most of this level of scope glass is good enough it just depends on where you prioritize that extra being spent.