Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Recommended Scope for Long-range .300 Win Mag use...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:08 AM

Re: Recommended Scope for Long-range .300 Win Mag use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
I like all of the Burris Signature Rings. What's great about them is that they are rock solid, you can cant (tilt) your scope with the plastic inserts and because of the inserts, they don't leave any marks on your scope. So if you ever want to sell the scope later, there won't be any ring marks.

Now, of the various Burris Signature Rings which ones do I like? Personally, I like the double dovetail. The bases for them are small and dovetail is rock-solid and tight. Also, they have a very clean look. I have them on two of my rifles and will soon be on a third rifle of mine....

My 280 - Updated!

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!

Now to throw in one more wrinkle for you...you will notice that scope rings come in various heights. Because scopes have different size front objectives (generally speaking 40mm or 50mm) you need a different height ring based on the size of that front objective. To find what the height you need, call Burris and talk to their technical people. Tell them the scope you have, the size of your objective, the rifle and the barrel contour. From that, they should be able to determine the proper height. If your situation is on the cusp of one height and another, they will recommend the higher ring. I know this, because that's what I did when I was mounting my Leupold MK4 on my 308. Once I got the rings, I quickly determined that I could use the next lower ring (you want to mount your scope as low as possible). So I ordered the lower rings and all is good now.

I like squaring stuff away before I come to it. So I would probably want to use the +.010 insert on the front ring of the scope correct? I'll be contacting Burris through email(phones are crappy over here in Iraq) and asking them what they think for a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range .300 Win Mag with a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x Mildot scope. Tactical version of the scope or a regular hunting version? The only different is turrets I think...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmisson View Post
I like squaring stuff away before I come to it. So I would probably want to use the +.010 insert on the front ring of the scope correct? I'll be contacting Burris through email(phones are crappy over here in Iraq) and asking them what they think for a Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range .300 Win Mag with a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x Mildot scope. Tactical version of the scope or a regular hunting version? The only different is turrets I think...
In order to cant your scope (with the rear higher than the front) you will need to put one of the "plus" on the back and a zero or 'minus' on the front. For instance, in order to cant my scope +30, I put a +20 on the rear and a -10 on the front.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
In order to cant your scope (with the rear higher than the front) you will need to put one of the "plus" on the back and a zero or 'minus' on the front. For instance, in order to cant my scope +30, I put a +20 on the rear and a -10 on the front.
Just realized that the Bushnell scope you're considering has a 30mm tube. 30mm Burris Signature Rings come with a set of 'zero' inserts and "tens". So in order to cant your scope +20 (which I would do), set up the rear +10 and the front -10. Make sense?