Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Recommendations Please: Hold Over Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Recommendations Please: Hold Over Scopes

Hi Guys,

I've come to the determination that if I zero my current rifles (223, 270 Win, 338WM) at 260 yards, they all share very similar ballistics to 400 yards. That is, approx 2" drop at 300 yards and 12" drop at 400 yards. With these numbers in mind, I will be very effective mule deer, antelope and elk as out to this range I will never be holding off body. It should provide a quick and repeatable system out to that range.

For ranges beyond 400 yards though I have determined that I need to be using some sort of measured hold over. I've been using the Nikon BDC with some success, but would welcome a reticle that has more usability in terms of windage markings. I'm thinking holdovers will serve me fine to about 700 yards, which becomes the limit of my range in terms of energy at those ranges.

I do not want to dial up as I've had issues with that system before. It is training based, but at this time I'd like to stick with using a holdover method.

So my question is this, for the described system, whose reticle would you recommend? I like scopes in the 4-16x range for my hunting scenarios if that makes a difference. Looking to stay in the $300-$400 range as well.

Thanks for your help fellas!

Adam

Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: Recommendations Please: Hold Over Scopes

Cowboy, Have you beenutilizing Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program? If so, keep checkingit out, some great new changes coming that should serve your needs very well. I'm a big fan of Nikon's BDC reticle because of Spot On and the flexibility it gives me to use whatever ammo I choose.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

I do have the Spot On app, as well as one called Istrelok. The latter shows point of impact in the output screen within the reticle, rather than just the various ranges of the aiming points. It also has many other reticles available to work with, so it's more flexible.

Both seem to work well though.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Bronze Member

The Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10 with Rapid Z 600 is spot on for the 130 grain load i shoot through a .270 Win out to 600 yds. With a 200 yard zero everything else fall into place. It has a graduated windage feature. No experience with other brands of holdover reticles.