Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Recomend a fixed magnification scope for load developement? Must handle recoil!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Recomend a fixed magnification scope for load developement? Must handle recoil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
You sir have a Definition of good glass than I do. The SWFA is a good scope, its hard to package that durability with tracking, and adjustment like that in a 300 dollar package, but the glass is far from "not bad at all". I still think its a good buy, but lets call a spade a spade, the glass kind of sucks.
I used a SWFA SS 20x42 (MOA turrets) for a short while in a ballistics experiment. When I first inspected the scope I noticed the glare was pretty high. It turned out that the glare was too high during normal daylight conditions to give a high contrast image. While the resolution wasn't bad, the image appeared as though I was looking through fog. Another LRH member reported similar issues with his SS 16x42.

The SS 20x42 contrast was so low that I had to replace the scope. I didn't think that I needed Swarovski-quality contrast for this experiment and wanted to keep the cost low. I went with a Burris MTAC 4.5-14X42. The contrast at 14X was quite good - a huge improvement over the SS 20x42.

Based on my experience, I would not buy another fixed mag SWFA SS scope. The image contrast is adequate to see high contrast objects like paper targets under favorable lighting conditions. However, the contrast is already marginal to begin with and will get even worse under adverse lighting conditions.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Recomend a fixed magnification scope for load developement? Must handle recoil!

Thanks. I had read similar comments regarding the higher power versions of this scope. High hope, high hopes.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Gold Member

I have no experience with the high power SWFA SS. Mine is a 12 and its very clear. Sounds like 12 is as high as I would want to buy according to the last few comments
Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Maybe the newest ones are better?? For 300. and good turrets, I would buy one if the reviews are coming in favorable.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Are you referring to the mrad version? That's wishful thinking.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent