Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reason to have a matched scope (MIL MIL / MOA MOA)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reason to have a matched scope (MIL MIL / MOA MOA)?

+1 for the Shooter Ready program. I used the old and now the new versions too.

I like the additions in the new version, especially the FFP 20X Moa reticle option.

What a great way to keep our minds working (related to shooting) when we can't actually be out doing it.

Well worth the money IMO.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Hudge, I don't think you're missing anything.
If you laser range and dial, then you just ignore all the crap attached to your crosshair reticle.
Focus instead on level and holdoff for wind (in inches).
If holding off for elevation, then you setup your units of holdoff as applicable, and I guess the dialing units don't matter a bit(given that you're not dialing).

I don't see where mils offer anything to civilian shooting. People stretch and stretch to make a case for usefulness with them. But they cannot range as accurately as my LRF, and they cannot hold off as accurately as I can dial.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
My current set-up has a MIL reticle, with 1/4 MOA Clicks. I've looked at a few threads on matching systems (MIL MIL / MOA MOA), and I don't understand the reason that's desirable. I'm going to build a drop chart out to 1000 yards (on my next rifle, not the .223), and if i have the correct drop on a chart, what's the virtue of a matched system?
It matters if you use your reticle for anything. If you absolutely know you will never use it for anything, ever, then you probably won't notice much of a benefit.

While most here do dial elevation most of the time, some of us like to hold over sometimes. Many of us like to hold wind sometimes or even all the time. So if you're using your reticle for these things, even occasionally, you need to keep or have access to all your dope in two different units. It's a PITA.

The very first time you bolt on a scope, boresight it, take the very first shot with it at distance, measure the location of your hit with the reticle, then input that exact same value into your turrets and hit dead on your next shot you'll wonder why in the world they'd make scopes any other way.

On the same note, if you and your buddies all have scopes like yours and you want to spot shots for them, you can tell them corrections in mils without thinking. Then they have to convert that into MOA to dial it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I don't see where mils offer anything to civilian shooting. People stretch and stretch to make a case for usefulness with them. But they cannot range as accurately as my LRF, and they cannot hold off as accurately as I can dial.
That makes absolutely no sense at all. You're saying LRF is more accurate than ranging with a reticle and dialing is more accurate than holding over.

What does that have to do with which unit's you're using?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Hudge, I don't think you're missing anything.
If you laser range and dial, then you just ignore all the crap attached to your crosshair reticle.
Focus instead on level and holdoff for wind (in inches).
If holding off for elevation, then you setup your units of holdoff as applicable, and I guess the dialing units don't matter a bit(given that you're not dialing).

MIls and MOA angle are both angular units of measure. Mils are just as benificial to a civilian shooter as is MOA
Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post

The very first time you bolt on a scope, boresight it, take the very first shot with it at distance, measure the location of your hit with the reticle, then input that exact same value into your turrets and hit dead on your next shot you'll wonder why in the world they'd make scopes any other way.

Agree with your summation and especially the quote above.

MOA and MIL are mostly different strokes for different folks. I will say that most people find that their brains work better, or faster, with one type or the other so it may be of benefit to play with the math to see which one comes more natural. I happen to do fine with both but do run into mistakes or delays when I go back and forth between scopes that have MOA on one and MIL on the other. I will eventually get everything transitioned over to one method once I find a reticle I really like which isn't quite out there yet.