Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Really Really really confused...no really!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Really Really really confused...no really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
I have to disagree with the custom turret. The idea that one turret 'does it all' just doesn't seem to add up. what if you shoot different loads in the rifle? what if you shoot the same load all the time, but the turrest is based on sea level data, then you go to the mountains and increase altitude by 5000 feet? There's no way one turret covers all that.
That's what everyone tells me, but mine shoots exactly the same at 4,500 feet in Gillette, Wyoming as it does at 800 feet where I live in north Georgia. You can't prove it to me with my rifle. Oh, I only shoot one load for everything. If I shoot something else like my 30-06 I switch the scope from my 6mm Norma BR. and they both shoot the same ark down range within 2 inches of each other.

Go figure.

joseph

PS: My 400 yard target I shot here in Georgia is dead on, but my custom turret was calibrated for 4500 feet in Wyoming where it is dead on all the way out to 900 yds.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=559629&highlight=

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight= << Look at the top of the custom turret.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886&highlight=
Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Baro isn't going to matter much at 400 yards. Try it at 800 and you will see your turret
markings are off quite a bit.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Baro isn't going to matter much at 400 yards. Try it at 800 and you will see your turret
markings are off quite a bit.
You may be correct because I have not tested it here where I live at farther then 400. I have shot it at 1,000 yds., but have to click up 27 MOA to get on the center of the target.

Thanks for this point that I never thought of.

joseph

PS: Scores & 5 shot group sizes are in lower right of target. Not to bad for a hunting rifle. This was the second time shooting at paper at 1,000 yds.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Really Really really confused...no really!-1000-yd.-target.jpg  
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
That's what everyone tells me, but mine shoots exactly the same at 4,500 feet in Gillette, Wyoming as it does at 800 feet where I live in north Georgia. You can't prove it to me with my rifle. Oh, I only shoot one load for everything. If I shoot something else like my 30-06 I switch the scope from my 6mm Norma BR. and they both shoot the same ark down range within 2 inches of each other.

Go figure.

joseph

PS: My 400 yard target I shot here in Georgia is dead on, but my custom turret was calibrated for 4500 feet in Wyoming where it is dead on all the way out to 900 yds.

Drop chart. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum << Look at the top of the custom turret.

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum
You will find much more affect from atmospheric conditions once you get past 5-600 yards. And changes as you go higher in elevation will also affect you more.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

Yeah I just looked at the custom turret. It seem like a restriction on loads. What if they cam out with a new bullet that twas the best around...you would have to plop down another 100 bucks for a new turret. No on the ecustom turret. Just make custom removeable stickers for each load.

"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne
Old 11-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

Of corse if you hunt the same areas all the time: get the turret set for a great load at that location. Don't waist your barrel trying every new bullet that comes along. If you go somewhere els to shoot check drops against the turret and compensate accordingly or just put the standard turret that came with the scope back on. ..... Then ....... Live happily ever after and so on and so forth. My opinion.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
Of corse if you hunt the same areas all the time: get the turret set for a great load at that location. Don't waist your barrel trying every new bullet that comes along. If you go somewhere els to shoot check drops against the turret and compensate accordingly or just put the standard turret that came with the scope back on. ..... Then ....... Live happily ever after and so on and so forth. My opinion.
Different bullets do different things hence why they sell all different types of bullets. So that why I dont get your points of a custom turret.

"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne