Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Really Really really confused...no really!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Really Really really confused...no really!

Can someone explain to me FFP and SFP scopes....If your scope is a 3.5-10
the more you power it up the bigger the target gets but if your recticle stays the same how do you aim...I am confusing myself. if the recticle gets bigger you POA changes along with bullet drop? WHAT?

"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne
Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

Re: Really Really really confused...no really!

nevermind ....the FFP is the better choice for finding distance and consistancy.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

With a FFP scope the reticle and the target you are looking at increases in size in proportion to each other as you increase the power. The reticle looks thicker, but is the same thickness as the target gets larger also. You aim the same for any power you are on.

I love my Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with the Vortex custom turret calibrated to the drop chart I shot with my reloads out of MY rifle.

Drop chart. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: With a SFP scope as you power up the reticle stays the same size. If you do not know the distance to your target you have to put the power where the distance can be calibrated. With a FFP you can judge the distance at any power.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Some more reading for you.

http://www.premierreticles.com/pdfs/...wToFFP-SFP.pdf
Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys.....now I gotta figure what scope to buy....I get pro pro deals on leupold and trijicon

Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Silverback7,

Before you plant down your money on the table take a close look at the Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a custom turret. $899.95 and about $100 for the custom turret. It also comes with an illuminated reticle.

You get a Laser rangefinder that ranges in yds. Then all you have to do is range your target turn your elevation custom turret to the yards, hold for wind and shoot.

IMHO I do not think you can buy a better working scope system even for a lot more money.

joseph
Old 11-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Silverback7,

Before you plant down your money on the table take a close look at the Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a custom turret. $899.95 and about $100 for the custom turret. It also comes with an illuminated reticle.

You get a Laser rangefinder that ranges in yds. Then all you have to do is range your target turn your elevation custom turret to the yards, hold for wind and shoot.

IMHO I do not think you can buy a better working scope system even for a lot more money.

joseph
I have to disagree with the custom turret. The idea that one turret 'does it all' just doesn't seem to add up. what if you shoot different loads in the rifle? what if you shoot the same load all the time, but the turrest is based on sea level data, then you go to the mountains and increase altitude by 5000 feet? There's no way one turret covers all that.