Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Really odd scope issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Really odd scope issue

I traded scopes with a guy for a essentially NIB Vari-X III LR Tactical model. (It had sat on a gun for years but had not been taken out of the safe)

I got the scope today and mounted it, looked through it and saw something odd. The left and right side of the FOV are not both focused. I can focus one or the other, but not both at the same time. If I look at a tree, right of the crosshairs it is crystal clear, and the left side is a green blob. The problem gets worse as the range does.

What could cause this, the glass is scratch free and clean and the scope "works" fine except the focusing of both sides of the FOV.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Really odd scope issue

It is clearer than the camera makes it...but you can definitely tell there is a big difference.

Last edited by Tyler Kemp; 05-07-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Send it to Leupold, they'll make it right. This winter my dad sent in his old vari-x II he'd bought 30 years ago because the lenses had a yellow tint....two weeks later a brand new VX-II showed up in the mail.

As for whats causing it, possibly a misground lense, or a lense improperly installed. Or, the guy putting your scope together had potato chips for lunch.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Just give the customer sevice line a call. They are very helpful and will lead you through the process. They will make it like new. I cant fathom what caused it.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

I have school all day so I can't really call. I hope we can discuss it through e-mail in a timely manner.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Don't trade any more stuff with this guy and don't buy any used cars from him either.

Secondly, unlock the eyepiece ring and see if the eye piece will adjust easily. Or if the threads are jammed.

Third, Loosen up the rings and take the scope off and see if it clears up and or if there are ring marks anywhere from the scope being overtightened and or installed with the rings being lapped.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

Not sure if this would make a difference or not, but are the adjustments centered? Try centering the reticle and see if it makes a difference.