Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ranging type reticles, do we realy need them??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: Ranging type reticles, do we realy need them??

1894, with the game dealers marking the carcases down so severly these days you need absolute pin point accuracy these days, on a Roe you have to hit a 10 cm x 10cm (4" x4") square, or do a neck shot. bieng zeroed for 200m and holding up or down a bit will cost you money on carcase dammage, you get paid little enough for venison anyway, you don't want to be damaging the spine(saddle) at all. I know my trajectory for every 25m out to 950m. ive shot roe at 620m, but that realy is to far if you are doing it regularly, if i come to Scotland its about shooting Bucks and i want to make sure i get a few, so i will take shots that i wouldn't take if i was a comission ranger or was the manager of the forest.
Pete
Old 05-21-2004, 05:08 AM
Bronze Member

I started to justify my view point but it gets a bit dull. Suffice to say I'm on the anti equipment side of the scale and get a little sceptical about the need for some LR gear.

At the end of the day it's what we enjoy and how effectively we use it that is important.

Any photos of the buck?
Old 05-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Gold Member

soon as i get the cd from my mate who took a digi cam with him, i'll get some photos out, i'd say i'm in the middle of the road as far as gadgets and equipment, i use what is usefull and easily portable. mildots in a scope, a lazer rangefinder, an angle cosine indicator, a trajectory table, a harris bipod. I do have a mildot master but i hardly ever use it as ranging in meters and adjusting in miliradians of fractions there of is so easy. other items are a whistle, a compas and a flare, small medical pack.
ive got mates that carry a damn palm computer, spotting scopes, tripods, emergency rations, a full cammelback, and go off for a 4 hour stalk carrying enough kit for a week..
Pete
Old 05-26-2004, 06:38 AM

Pete!

Yeah, I sure remember the trip. Do you remember the look on the face of that attendant at the gas-station when went shopping for beer? And Marco trying to dig a hole in that hog with the absolute bluntest knife the world ever saw...

Got myself a beautifull Buck Alpha Hunter folder with ATS34 blade. That ought to do the trick on the next trip.

I checked the reticle on the AI S&B's mounted on the Dutch rifles and I was incorrect, they DO have dots on the bottom post. My bad.... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

L8er!

Stefan out