Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ranging game with mil dots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
I would just add for those of you who don't understand what I said about the need to practice ranging on live animals, you should go up above in the Forum to "Lens Nature Photography" and look at those two bulls.

On the elk on the left side, where would you place the stadia on his back. Once you decide the location, look at his fur and decide where the stadia is going to actually be placed.

On the elk on the right, the guy has a brisket that is not level. He has been drinking too much beer. If you are laying out past 1K with your rifle where you cannot afford errors, then you have to pass or wait until he gets still and changes position. Also look at the fur on his backbone, the guy didn't comb his hair and it is all over the place. You have to anticipate this and have a system of placing the stadia in a set and established manner.

If you look at the two elk, one has more body depth than the other. Which one is the regular elk and which one is the midget elk?
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club

Unread 08-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Silver Member
Absolutely practise is the key. I'll run the math with the 18" and the 34" to see how far out a margin of error would still allow a good hit and call that my max distance.