Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ranging coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

Ranging coyotes

Hello all,

I am new here and looking to purchase a new rangefinder. I have an older Nikon 800 and a Leupold RX IV w/TBR and neither one seems to pick up a coyote much farther than 300 yards. As a tournament coyote hunter in western ND/SD and Montana, I NEED a rangefinder that will, with reasonable consistency, pick up coyotes at least twice that far. It is usually snow covered and somewhat flat so there is not much to bounce a beam off other than the coyote himself.

I do try to range objects near my stand prior to calling my first series so if they appear, I already have an idea of how far they are but I also find myself on plenty of spot and stalk opportunities where I end up guessing because me Leupy wont range a sleeping coyote balled up on a snow covered hillside. And it has cost me on a bunch of occasions. On several of these occasions after all was said and done, I found out that these coyotes were under 350 yards and I just really think the my rf should have picked them up.

Has anyone used anything made by anyone that has proven reliable on coyotes in similar scenarios as mentioned above? Any and all advice/tips and ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day folks,

Jamie
Old 02-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ranging coyotes

Buy a Leica 1600. Problem solved
Old 02-24-2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
Ditto!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybic View Post
Hello all,
Has anyone used anything made by anyone that has proven reliable on coyotes in similar scenarios as mentioned above? Any and all advice/tips and ideas would be very much appreciated.
Jamie
Most fur covered animals are not nearly as reflective as foliage, particularly in infrared light. If your rangfinder can't detect the animal it may be able to detect the leaves on a nearby bush or tree. Flat snow doesn't provide a good reflectivity either.

+1 on the Leica 1600. It's a best buy for a combination of range, price, and small size. It won't make 1600 yards to a coyote's (or deer's) body though. I'd expect 500 to 600 yards as practical.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 02-24-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Leica 1600 , I have ranged deer, antelope and elk to 1200 yards in decent conditions. Coyotes at 800 too depending on sunlight and such. It is important to get the RF solid on sand bags to get the full potential of the unit. Any movement in the rf will shorten the distance it will reflect.

Or if you have the budget a Vectronix will fill the bill perfectly. I have ranged coyotes at a mile in wheat stubble where there is nothing else out there. And I was indeed on the yote. But this type of performance comes at a price, as with any upper end equipment.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
+2 I've only had mine a month, and have only tested it on brush ect., but not sure what I did before I got it.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Leica 1600 , I have ranged deer, antelope and elk to 1200 yards in decent conditions. Coyotes at 800 too depending on sunlight and such. It is important to get the RF solid on sand bags to get the full potential of the unit. Any movement in the rf will shorten the distance it will reflect.
Jeff
I have similar experience as Jeff's with my Leica 1600.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.