Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rangefiners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rangefiners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well then, I would take a serious look at the Vectronix PLRF05 also called the Terripin and the G7-BR2 from gunworks. Put those names in the search box upper right hand corner of this page. There is a lot of good info on them and they have some great options. They are pretty much in a different league than some on your list.

Jeff
X2

There is alot of review material on all the rangefinders. It is a personal decision alot like which scope?

Beam divergence is not the sole, best reason for picking one rangefinder over another. Programming of the units reading of those results can play a big factor as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Bronze Member

On the bad side
--------------------
Avoid Newcon at all costs! I have the LRF3000 and it's nothing but grief. Parts fall off it, the glass is bad, their heavy, mine don't range past 1600 yards, the battery drains in about a week of casual use..(after I sent it in for repairs!) I can go on.

On the Good side
----------------------
Leica - the Gold Standard for years

Leica 1200 - mine works great. Nice bright display, range is alway correct, tight beam.

Leica 1600 - My friends works like a charm. I especially like how compact they are.

Leica Geovid - Hunter Guides I know love them.

On the high end
--------------------
Check out the new Swaro EL Range - all I know is what I read about these and reports are good so far.

Terrapin - the folks over at Snipers Hide can't say enough good about them. The only downside is they're a monocular rather than a binocular.

G7 Rangefinder - A great all-in-one solution for 0-1400ish yards - again a monocular.

Others
--------
Bushnells - Not good in my book, never owned any but have looked through them a long time ago and wasn't impressed.

Zeiss - No experience with them

Swaros - (pre EL Range) never owned any but I hear some folks get readings that don't match up to targets due to tall beams on flat ground.

Personally I just bought the new Kestrel with Atrag software and am considering either the Terrapin or Swaro EL Range. The Swaro is not as good at ranging, but I would like a binocular over a monocular. I just need to determine what the delta between the two is.

Jay
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Bronze Member

News Flash!

I just read a few topics down about a group buy on the G7. You should seriously consider that.

Jay
Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

As stated before, don't take somebody's 1 year old impression of new technology. Remeber the days of buys a computer and it was outdated before you bought it? This topic is close.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Due to previous discussions on this same topic on this forum, I was dead set on the Leica 1600. Then I discovered the group buy on here for the G7BR2. I couldn't pass it up. For me, that rangefinder will do exactly what I want and then some. If I hadn't decided on the G7, I would have ended up with the Leica 1600 and probably would have been happy with it for a rangefinder - but having the G7 ballistic computer built in to the rangefinder sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The 1600 Leica is the best bang for the buck for under $1000 club.

Jeff
+1. I am very pleased with mine ... consistently ranged game beyond 1500 yards in Montana's adverse weather conditions and have ranged objects at 2200 yards.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.