Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rangefiners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Rangefiners

I think I have finally convinced the boss (wife) that I need a rangefinder. I know some of you have extensive knowledge of rangefinders and have tried many or own many rangefinders. Cost is always an issue but so is quality and I want to make sure I get something that will suit my needs. I have listed a few options below that I considering. I will be using for hunting primarily. I am not sure if I want to go with the bino/rangefinder combo or just a straight rangefinder, and also the combo bino/rangefinder other than the Bushnell Fusion are very pricey.
I know this has been discussed before but any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Leica 1600

Leica Geovid

Bushnell Fusion

Newcon LRM 1500

Zeiss Victory RF 10x45

Zeiss Victory 8x26 PRF Rangefinding Monocular

Swarovski EL range Binoculars 10 x 42

Swarovski 8 x 30 laser guide rangefinder
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rangefiners

The 1600 Leica is the best bang for the buck for under $1000 club. If you give some details on distances, terrain, and game you wish to use it on we can add more details. also what is the bugdet? You have RF's from $600 to a couple grand here.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

I will be using the rangefinder in all kinds of different terrians from forest to rolling hills to wide open prairie. In a perfect world the Leica Geovid would be great but at $2300.00 that is a lot of $$$. I never listed a budget because i was going to wait and see what others had to say about the subject, because maybe I should be saving up for the higher end option.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Well then, I would take a serious look at the Vectronix PLRF05 also called the Terripin and the G7-BR2 from gunworks. Put those names in the search box upper right hand corner of this page. There is a lot of good info on them and they have some great options. They are pretty much in a different league than some on your list.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

The Leica 1200 CRF is a good value.

With a little practice and good battery, it'll range small whitetails out to 800+ yds in open terrain which is not an easy feat.

If the Leica 1600 or something better is within your budget, then go for it!

-- richard
Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

What are the Bushnel fusions like? I have a bit of a fear when it comes to Bushnel.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

I considered the Bushnell when I got my Leica a year or two ago.

It sounded good. But early field trails indicated the Leica 1200 outperformed it in the real word due to the narrower beam width.

I'm unsure if there have been any new developments.

I'm not pushing the Leica. But I don't have much use for anything less effective in the field.

-- richard