Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

rangefinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

rangefinders

I currently have a Lieca CRF1200 and I do like it but wished it woudl range farther. At the time I bought it I could only afford it and then read about a few problems people were having with their swarovski rangefinders. Well now Lieca has the CRF1600 and have only read a few reports. I am curious, out of the 3, Lieca CRF1200 & 1600 and Swarovski 1500, which one do people feel is the best one????
Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 AM

Re: rangefinders

I am also looking at the Leica CRF1600 and am wondering if this unit gives you two yardages when ranging from an incline. I know it will show the angle of inclination but does it have a program that shows the new calculated yardage on the display? I hate having to do math when time is short. I am hoping that someone who owns one will provide the answer.
regards
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
Bronze Member

Look into the new G7 BR2 rangefinder. This rangefinder is now in production and can range out past 2000yds. and also calculates windage hold, bullet BC, temp. Altitude, Humidity, incline/decline compensation, etc. This is the mother of all rangefinders! Their asking $1500 but will save you a ton of time using PDA's, etc. to calculate bullet drop, and wind correction... I'm on their list and can't wait to get mine! gseven - Home
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

As far as Leica vs Swarovski goes, I've read and heard that the Swarovski units will range the furthest. However, they have the largest laser beam also. This means at long distances we may be ranging the brush behind or in front of the target, instead of what we're really aiming at. For long range shooting, knowing the exact range of the true target is vital.

The Leica has a pretty small beam divergence so you can be fairly sure the reading is coming back from the intended target, and the new 1600 will range deer on sunny days at over 1000 yds with a steady rest.

I have an older LRF 1200, and the new 1600.........the 1600 will go about 200 yds further on small targets (tested them side/side for a few hours). Some of us had issues with the first 1600's that came out and had to send them back. Leica was really good about getting us new ones right away though.

It does not give two yardages on angled targets. It will give a correction value up to about 500 yds if you wish, but not designed for use further than that (on the correction value only). A different buttom must be pushed to get the angle to a target. It also gives the temp and local pressure (in psi) when that other buttom is pressed.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks guys for the imput.
I checked out the G7 BR2 and will be ordering one as soon as they're released. The only question I had with the BR2 is whether it would store ballistic information for more than one rifle. It would really be great to be able to switch programs on the fly.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyc33 View Post
Thanks guys for the imput.
I checked out the G7 BR2 and will be ordering one as soon as they're released. The only question I had with the BR2 is whether it would store ballistic information for more than one rifle. It would really be great to be able to switch programs on the fly.

yes, you will be able to input up to 10 different bullet profiles .. Aaron Davidson thought this one out very well. I don't think it is missing anything.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

It is suppose to handle 6 bullet profiles. I have seen no listed beam divergence or review. I have also seen them in current show with a Leica in use,goat or sheep episod?