Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rangefinder need....as opposed to want...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rangefinder need....as opposed to want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
Really? OP states an (eventual) max of 500 yards. I own a 1600B and consider it overkill for those ranges. Of course if an eventual goal of 1200 yards is in the cards, then things change, but you never need to buy way more than you need. Those saved funds would be best used for better scope optics. Just my opinion.
Wrong. Bad advice.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catorres1 View Post
Thanks for these thoughts!

My local range has steel to 1k, my thoughts exactly as you stated...I plan to train at 1k, so I can hunt at 500. The facility I am trying to get the money together to go train at (for my sons too) is 1250 yards. But these are all known distances, so I don't need an RF for these places.

I thought about trying to get a used 1600, but one thing I noted on my charts was the significance that angle makes to drop. Some of the places we hope to hunt could have some steep downward shots, so I wanted to get an RF that compensates for that. Does the 1600 do that, or only the 1600b? I know the 1000R does...not sure on the Zeiss PRF...have to look that up.

I guess I would wonder how far the 1000r can range on an animal...your point is a good one...it's probably 5 or 600ish, I would guess, which might be cutting it fine.
The 1600 gives me the angle to target, temp and Baro in psi. In your training you have to ask yourself, is the target at the exact range they state because your truing all your ballistic data to that said range, even a couple yards here or there will cause you havoc later on. Look at your long range rifle as a system of which your range finder is an integral part, your system will be more accurate when trued to the same tools you'll use in the field.
You want to be 100% confident that you can take the range from or LRF, put it into your ballistic app, dial it on your optic and send that round!!
You will be surprised how fast you'll pass up 500 yards, trust my don't buy 500 yard equipment and think you'll stop there

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelnut View Post
Really? OP states an (eventual) max of 500 yards. I own a 1600B and consider it overkill for those ranges. Of course if an eventual goal of 1200 yards is in the cards, then things change, but you never need to buy way more than you need. Those saved funds would be best used for better scope optics. Just my opinion.

Wrong. Bad advice.

Drilldog,

I don't consider it bad advice at all. Would it make you feel better if I said it is my opinion? Then my opinion it is. But believe me it is FAR from wrong OR bad advice. I consider you not very educated in rangefinders if you consider it wrong advice. I own a 1600B and use it a lot. Not everyone has the funds for one. And I stand by my statement that other less expensive rangefinders will work very well in the OP described parameters.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

If you can afford the Leica 1600, get it, you won't regret it. If you can't afford it, then get what you can get. That simple. An extra $150-$200 saved isn't much money in today's market, might as well have the best.

I bit the bullet and bought the Leica 1600 when they first came out and have never looked back. It is everything I will ever need and then some.

Most people don't understand how to fully and effectively use the long distance rangefinders. You can buy a rangefinder that will work just good enough for the yardages you plan to shoot, but you lose many other advantages that an "overpowered" rangefinder will provide.
With the 1600 I can range hillsides at up to 2000 yards in the right lighting conditions. So for example, I spot a nice buck running a doe on a hillside at 1500 yards. The next thing I need to do is figure out how to get into shooting position and be within my rifles capabilities. So lets say for this example that limit is 500 yards. I can now start ranging positions that are over 1000 yards away so I know exactly where to go knowing I will be within my shooting range. So say I Find a nice Ridge reading 1100 yards that is downwind from the buck, I know exactly where I need to get to and I can start hauling butt to that spot in hopes of making a 400 yard shot. I can even have my scope dialed in or be going over the hold over point on my reticle long before I arrive to minimize an adjustment mistake. The yardage the deer is actually at when I get there may be a little different, but I know that I should be within my capabilities.

You can't do all that with a 1000 yard rangefinder. Well you could, but you will be limited to the lesser effective range.

With the 1600, if longer shooting capabilities are developed or if you already have a longer range shooting ability and you start hunting in an area where longer shot opportunities arise, you already have the proper piece of equipment.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

The 1600/B is the simply the best bang for your money investment.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Strong opinions. All good opinions.
I've limited myself to ~500-600yds for groundhogs and used the 1K Leica for a long time. With it, I could range GHs on sunny days to ~650yds. Worked good for me.
I stepped up a few years ago to a geovid for binocular ranging, and while it's huge & heavy I'm happy here as well(easier spotting).
I like all the Leicas

I agree with Barrelnut.
While you're limiting to 500, you can spend money on a better scope, better trigger, reloading components, etc.
And there is just no tellin what the best deal in laser ranging will be by the time you've worked your way further. You could get a 1600 then -dirt cheap, while everyone else is chasing 'the best deal'.

It's when you get further out that air density differences, coriolis, slope, and spin-drift, need to be accounted for. I have equipment to do it, and started off shooting further out. But 'Hunting' was not as enjoyable with this once the novelty wore off.
By limiting myself beneath all this, and adding a few rules to the game, I feel like I've stepped up my game.
I'm actually hunting instead of just shooting.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
By limiting myself beneath all this, and adding a few rules to the game, I feel like I've stepped up my game.
I'm actually hunting instead of just shooting.
Another major component of my range limits as well.