Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Rangefinder Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rangefinder Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
This thread has me a bit confused. The Swaro and Leica RFs that I have used, return straight-line distance to the target. In order to compensate for any angle up or down, you would need a cosine indicator.

Roy your post has me real confused. What does multiplying the baro pressure by 2.036 or just 2 do?
The 1600 B gives readings in PSIa so you multiply it by 2 to get inches of Hg. It's in this thread
Leica 1600 baro readings
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
Hi All,

I want a rangefinder that will display true horizontal distance .
The origional post asked for "true horizontal distance" To me that ment a true distance on a horizontal plane which would not have an angle.

That is what I answered with my 1st post. If you want a compensating angle distance then my answer that al 3 did this was wrong. The zeiss and swaro do not.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
This thread has me a bit confused. The Swaro and Leica RFs that I have used, return straight-line distance to the target. In order to compensate for any angle up or down, you would need a cosine indicator.

Roy your post has me real confused. What does multiplying the baro pressure by 2.036 or just 2 do?
Leica reports barometric pressure in pounds per square inch (PSIA) most shooting solutions use inches of mercury ("Hg). I got the conversion factory from psia to "Hg from another thread.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

My CRF1600 has never been activated in the other stuff and just gives me LINE OF SIGHT period. That is all I wanted it for. Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The origional post asked for "true horizontal distance" To me that ment a true distance on a horizontal plane which would not have an angle.

That is what I answered with my 1st post. If you want a compensating angle distance then my answer that al 3 did this was wrong. The zeiss and swaro do not.

Jeff

Yeah I meant the, "compensating angle distance," the distance to shoot the shot for when there is an angle involved, as opposed to the line of sight distance.

Does the original 1600 do this?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

If all else fails stick to the rule of "shoot first, and ask questions later."

lol

Be safe though.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

I think this is what your looking for ;)

NEWCON OPTIK LRB 20000 LASER RANGE FINDER BINOCULAR-NEW | eBay
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe