Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Which Rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Which Rangefinder

Hi Everyone, i'm kinda new here so, pardon asking a question that has already been asked. I am looking to get a rangefinder and i'm blown away by the choices. I'd love to get one that can accurately range targets up to 800 yards, and deer the same or close to it. I'd love to find one around $500-$600 if possible. I don't have to be completely stuck to that price range, but hopefully it works out that way. The main thing i want is a quality optic with a good reputation. I see the Leica name mentioned, and am curious of those but don't know much about them. I do have some Leupold equipment and they have served me very well, but i don't know much about their range finders. Any info. that cane be shared would greatly be appreciated. Thanks everyone. cheers, hvychev77

Old 06-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Rangefinder

Stay away from any Leupold RF. Best bang for the buck would be a Leica 1600 CRF. You could even find a used one in your price range if your patient. Also the older Leica 1200 CRF would easily fill your requests.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 AM

How are the Leica's in regards to quality and customer service? Leica seems to be a re-occuring name the more research I do. They sound like they're pretty solid.

thanks,
hvychev77
Old 06-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

hvychev77

I've had several range finders but wasn't happy until I got my Leica 1600 which will range a deer to 1,000 yards.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM

Right on, thanks guys. Looks like the Leica will do everything I want it to. I'll be using it to do some long range target shooting with as well as some hunting.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 AM
Silver Member

I have the Zeiss PRF 8x26.

I have ranged groundhogs to 650 yds. and deer to 1200 with respectable accuracy.

The 8x optics are so good that I often glass with it instead of dragging binos with for groundhogs.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:04 AM

As for customer service, I had a Leica 1200 CRF that developed an odd haze on the inside of the glass. It was outside of the warranty period but I sent it in to have it repaired anyway. A week later UPS delivered me a brand new unit. No questions asked.
I don't post much but when I receive service like that I feel it is my duty to let others know.

Jeff