Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

rangefinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM

rangefinder

Guys im looking for a new rangefinder. Been reading all I can on here and it seems that there is a lot of different opinions. I am thinking Leica, Swaro or Zeiss. Sell me on one. Help me spend some money. I will say up front, I cant afford a G7 or a Terripin. Thanks Folks.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: rangefinder

If you can't afford a terrapin then get the Leica, I have a terrapin plrf 05 & Swarovski and my buddy has a pair of Leicas.....the terrapin is the best followed by the Leica 1600 with my old Swarovski in a definite third place.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Do the research to determine which of the ones you can afford has the smallest beam divergence.

I have the Leica 1600 which seems to be the best of that price range. When the sun goes down or before it comes up and on the shade side of the mountain it is top cabin. Usually ranges up towards 2000 yards.

I've learned that when snow and hoar frost is on the trees ya can't range squat. This is where the Vectronix offerings leap ahead. Nor will mine range a yote @ 700+ yards on the sunny side of the mountain. I'm not a fair weather fella and this burns me up as snow cover around here is from before thanksgiving (some time) well into march.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 AM

It will probably be the Leica but I am still open to the others. I am at least two hours from any where that I can try them side by side so im counting on the good folks here to steer me in the right direction Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Leica 1600 CRF for the smallest beam divergence, precise ranging, most accurate numbers returned , small and most visible reticle, fast response, and scan.

I have tested most of the units out there available. I use a Vectronix PLRF10 and have the Leica 1600 for my back up unit.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 AM

Thanks Jeff, Do You use the "b" or the straight 1600CRF? Been looking into both and get the older one a couple hundred cheaper. Is the B model worth it? I know it has a program and shoot to distance but is it worth the extra money. I have a program on my smart phone.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey36 View Post
Thanks Jeff, Do You use the "b" or the straight 1600? Been looking into both and get the older one a couple hundred cheaper. Is the B model worth it? I know it has a program and shoot to distance but is it worth the extra money. I have a program on my smart phone.
I am using the older 1600 , I have not gotten far enough into the program far enough to pass an accurate assessment, but lets just say it probably will be of little use to me as I use my phone app too ( Applied Ballistics)

Not I have been looking at the intfo it supplies, baro, temp and shot angle. That might be of use at some point, but for now still using the Kestrel.

In the past week I have been doing a little testing of just the ranging ability of this unit. I have ranged a tree just before dark at 1957, haybales mid day at 1600 + and the other day I was ranging a herd of whitetails over a FLAT snow covered field. It would bang on every deer instantly. The farthest was only 700 yards but it did a great job. I used my Vectronix to proof test as I trust it 100%.

Jeff