Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Range finding scope opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Range finding scope opinions

DMCI, I am not trying to knock Shepherd. I just feel that for the money i think there are better choices and that $600 is a considerable amount for the average person on a scope. This is just my opnion!

I just wanted to acknowledge the customer service because i think a manufacturer should stand behind their product. Maybe service has changed or these were just rare cases. I know any scope can go bad and sometimes its neglect and not craftsmanship. I think Shepherd has a great idea, but i know these stories changed my mind and a few others that were really considering shepherd scopes.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

I tend to agree with Shaky,

Why not get a rangefinder. (A good one)

The trouble I see with rangefinding scope reticles is that they base thier findings on a subjective opinion from the shooter. The odds are, they may come pretty close under perfect viewing conditions. But... out to 300 yds on a deer, is meaningless becuase you can make a good guess and shoot the thing without the reticle. After the point where a good guess just won't do, neither will the rangefinding reticle. For shooting woodchucks, it's simply out of the question. Past 300, drop becomes too significant, under 300, it's too insignificant.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I tend to agree with Shaky,

Why not get a rangefinder. (A good one) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well two points:

1. I have one. (A good one.)

2. I tend to shoot my rifle in at each range and note the number of clicks or moa for each range. Lately, I have been employing a palm based ballistics software and a weather station to aid me in calculating come ups.

Problem with a laser is two fold, based on actual experience.

a.) If weather is too warm, it ceases to give good readings. After all the infrared signal can be jammed by two much heat energy in the air.

b.) As any FB-111 pilot will tell you, too much dependency on electronic and battery powered systems can result in disaster if you have no secondary back up system. I treat the reticle range finder as a backup, and when you divide a circle into 18,000 or so parts, the result can be much better than the proverbial SWAG.

Also the use of the moa reticle to provide a modified POA is very useful, and maybe as useful as the range finding functionality.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-10-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 11-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Bronze Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Mister ( ex DR ) J Williams <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
news travel fast i see...
Old 11-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Does anybody have experience with the new Weaver Tacticle MilDot Scopes with 1 Plane Reticles.

They are available in two specs.

849444 3-9x40 Matte Black, Mil Dot
849445 4.5-14x40 Matte Black, Mil Dot, AO

Rgds
Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

My two favorites are:

Nightforce NPR2

IOR Valdada MP8

Great for long range shooting, very easy to estimate range for objects of known height.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member

DMCI

Where did you get that great bench?
Charlie

[ 10-21-2004: Message edited by: c east ]