Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Range finding scope opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2003, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Range finding scope opinions

You know, i'd think that the Ballistic Mil-Dot reticle in an upper model Burris would be one of the best systems out there with a target turret tacked on. Then you have the flexibility of mil-dot ranging, trajectory compensation, and running clicks too, all in one scope without having to brake the budget for some of the others.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

I have a Burris ballisticplex on my Ruger .17HMR for that caliber.

Not bad, except that like all ballistics data on a reticle, it is too inflexible as cartridge and or environmental conditions change.

Works for me on rimrires because of relative stability of cartridge performance.

Open for other ideas though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-09-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 11-04-2003, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

sscoyote:

The Burris Ballistic-plex seems to have a lot of flexibility, based on the number of different modifications they provide on that reticle.

You might also investigate Nightforce scopes as they have a number of different reticle solutions and a fairly decent scope.

In general though and speaking from a philosophic point of view, I would rather put the ballistics data on the knob than the reticle, if the knob system is repeatable. If not then reticles seem to hold more hope for a workable solution.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I have also used Mildot for most of my career, but if you are not familiar with them I would suggest the easiest type is a shepherd scope, I have 2 and they work flawlessly. http://www.shepherdscopes.com/
--------------------

SFC U.S. Army (B4)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know Dan Shepard personally, and he is very inventive and a heck of a nice fellow.

Having said that, I agree with you about the Shepard Scope. I have one on my .22WRF Magnum rifle. It works like a charm.

The second reticle on that puppy is a MOA reticle by the way. Makes range finding a snap!

Old 11-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Bronze Member

I recently purchased a kahles 3-9x42 with the tds recticle. So far i like it very much. Have did some ranging with it and is decently simple.
I looked at the shepherd scopes but did not think they were near the quality of glass. I did like the idea of the circles though. I checked with a local gun shop and they said customer service for these scopes is terrible. They had two different scopes that broke and the company would not back there product. It took around two years to get it taken care of. I have also read about their lack of customer service on other forums. This is one of the reason i went with a different scope, even though i like their idea!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

If I had to criticize Shepherd, I would say that he would do better if he could build an industrial quality scope and compete favorably with Leupold's tactical line. However, although his quality and workmanship have dramatically improved over the last few years he still has a little way to go. Mores the pity.

PS. Usually, I never criticize a product, and this post is meant to be more constructive, than harsh. I still think he has a terrific idea there and his quality is appropriate to the price in my opinion.

I can't speak to the issue of customer service, because I have never had a problem with my scope. It shoots better than I do! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 11-06-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 11-06-2003, 07:02 PM

Why not get a good laser range finder like a Leica LRF 1200? Then you can range distance to target with any rifle.

DMCI,

Do me a favor?

Send me an e-mail with the place you bought your swivel bench. Did the top come with it or did you have it made elsewhere? I like yours better then the one I now have and I need another one to ship to Texas so I can have one there and one here.

E-mail: sales@groovebullets.com

I have your Groove Bullets ready to ship. Just let me know how many of each caliber you want and a shipping address.

Don

[ 11-06-2003: Message edited by: Shaky ]