Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Range finding scope opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 01:43 PM

Range finding scope opinions

I would like to get a range finding scope and wanted to get some opinions. I would like something that is or around 4-14power. I've looked at mil-dot, ballistic plex, bal.mildot, and other reticles and just wanted to see which you guys prefer and what brands you like. thanks
Old 09-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Range finding scope opinions

I would recommend mil-dots but thatís what Iíve been trained on and I practice a lot with them. If you go with a leupold scope, I would spend the extra bucks and buy one from Premier Reticle and have them install their new 2nd Gen midot. I love that new reticle.

I would stay with mildots over the ballistic plex for one reason. I doubt youíll ever find a bullet/load combination that will match the ballistic plex trajectories. A 10 to 20 degree change at long range will screw things up. Mil-dots are a consistent means of ranging and do not get affected by atmospheric changes.

This is not to say they are easy to use. Yes, easy to understand the formulas especially when you cheat and purchase a Mil-Dot Master. But you must practice with them and practice a lot. Most new shooters who learn to use them can break the mil-dots down to 1/2 and maybe 1/4 increments. This works fine out to about 500 yards. But you should practice enough so you can break them down to 1/8th increments, though I know a few marine corp. snipers who can break them down to 1/10th increments. The smaller the increments you can break them down to, the more accurate youíll be a longer ranges. If you want the formulas for mildots in yards or meters, just email me.

Iíve never tried to figure out the TDS reticle, though Iíve seen and tried the Horus (Horror) reticle. Way toooooooooo much information on the reticle for me, plus the ballistic program that comes with it is suspect at longer ranges.

Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:53 AM
Gold Member

I have also used Mildot for most of my career, but if you are not familiar with them I would suggest the easiest type is a shepherd scope, I have 2 and they work flawlessly. http://www.shepherdscopes.com/
Rakkasan

U.S. Army Sniper
"Opening Minds Worldwide"

Old 09-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Miller,

My choice is Nightforce with the NP-R2 reticle, works with ranging anything and not just limited to that either. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Much quicker, simpler, and better resolution than Mil-Dots any day. Sorry guys. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2003, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Miller
Consider the IOR Valdada MP8 reticle. It is very easy on the eye. It gives 10 MILs of holdover, 5 MILS of holdunder and 5 MILS of windage in each direction. Markings are broken into 5 MIL, 1 MIL and 1/2 MIL increments.

The 4-14 x 50 Tactical might be well worth considering, but it is expensive.

Have a look at
http://www.valdada.com/

and choose

4-14 x 50 Tactical

and

4-14 x 50 Tactical Illuminated

from the drop down menu.

These scopes are also available with a MILDOT style reticle.

Regards

Old 10-28-2003, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

I personally like the MOA Scale reticle:

Height Target (in) x 100
--------------------------- = Range (yards)
Height Target (MOA)

So target 72" tall subtending 12 MOA is:

72 in x 100
------------- = 600 yards
12 MOA

or another example:

10in paperplate Subtending 5 MOA is

10 in x 100
------------- = 200 yards
5 MOA

[ 10-28-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 10-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

DMCI,

Who makes the reticle in the pic?

Here's something Sam posted that helps simplify things even more.

Half the Size of Target (inches)
________________________ x 100 = Range (Yards)

Size Target (lines)

Notice my modification to the formula for use with the R2 reticle and the 2 moa line (tick mark) spacing.

This cuts each of the numbers in half and makes for quicker math in your head under pressure.

Another hint from Dave...

We can measure with it providing we know the distance.

Deer/Elk antlers size = distance in yards (LASER) / 100 * M.O.A. = target size in inches.